Puppy climbing stairs at 10 weeks
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Puppy climbing stairs at 10 weeks

cycler is offline Senior Member

Default Puppy climbing stairs at 10 weeks

I remember reading recently, a suggestion that puppies should be carried up and down stairs until a certain age. Last night, Muddy ran past me while in his pit/poop area and climbed up the 3 stairs onto the deck. Does anyone remember what age I should be carrying him up/down before I let him tackle the steps on his own? I tried a search, but no luck/matches.

Another question; Is there any specific reason for carrying a puppy up/down steps, when they can do it themselves? Other than they could lose balance and have a fall?

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

The only steps Caleb did as a puppy were the one going out to the porch, then the one from there to the yard. My husband had built "half steps" when Mick got weak to make it easier for him to get in and out- they're half the height of the step going out both doors, and long, like a landing. Once in awhile Caleb would go up the stairs to our second floor. He got carried down until he was too big to carry. After that, I'd walk him down slowly. The idea is not to put too much pressure on the shoulder joints. Mick hurt his shoulder as an older pup- the first thing the vet asked me was if he jumped on and off the roof of a doghouse. Nope, but he did jump into and out of the station wagon, and on & off the picnic table for grooming. It all added up to jarring his shoulder. Luckily, a total of 4 weeks rest healed it up nice and it never bothered him again in 15 1/2 years. Caleb is 3 1/2 now, and I still left him out of the vehicles (Ford Ranger and Escape)- I lift out. He is capable of jumping out if need be, tho.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by cycler View Post
    I remember reading recently, a suggestion that puppies should be carried up and down stairs until a certain age. Last night, Muddy ran past me while in his pit/poop area and climbed up the 3 stairs onto the deck. Does anyone remember what age I should be carrying him up/down before I let him tackle the steps on his own? I tried a search, but no luck/matches.

Another question; Is there any specific reason for carrying a puppy up/down steps, when they can do it themselves? Other than they could lose balance and have a fall?

If you think about the height of the step in comparison to the size of their body at 10 weeks - this is a mighty big climb! That can make a lot of stress on their joints.

You should carrry your puppy in and out of the house (if steps are involved) and similarly carry indoors if steps are required until you can't easily lift him anymore (like Mick's Mom said). He may seem able to climb the stairs - but in the long run it could produce a problem.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

labby is offline Senior Member

I've never carried any of mine up and down stairs if they were able to do it themselves.
    Laura

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I carried Baloo up and down stairs until he was around 4 months. Maybe it was just for my own piece of mind, but it certainly didn't hurt anything.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

cycler is offline Senior Member

thanks for the responses. I think we will try to carry him for awhile longer, just to be safe. It is a stretch for him to climb the steps.

mrobmsu is offline Member

we live in a split level home, with several sets of stairs. our almost 10 week old pup is now climbing the lower set of stairs on his own, both up and down. we try to keep him out of the upper floor of the house, so don't let him up those stairs. he seems to be doing well, and we have no intention of carrying him up and down the stairs.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

If they can do it themselves they dont get carried. Sometimes they dont get carried at all...if they want to be where I am...they will just have to learn to use them.
    Kim

rookyduckling is offline Senior Member

toby has been doing the steps since brought him home at 6 weeks ............asked the vet about it because of a post i saw here about stress on hips ............she said hips are affected by weight and genetics and climbing steps won't do anything to the hips .....................and he loves going up and down the steps .............

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I don't think climbing the stairs is actually too much of a problem. I think the problem arises when they goof off on the stairs. Like a flying leap off the 4th stair down to the floor. I think as long as the stairs aren't used as a speed track, the pup will be fine.

I had Jack and Jed sleep in crates in the living room until they were old enough to be able to go up and down our stairs on their own (our rooms are in the basement of the house).

+ Reply to Thread