Just Labradors banner

Costco's Pet Kingdom Original Chicken Jerky

6K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  patm 
#1 ·
I posted my concern that Costco was selling the product above, distributed by US company, but Made in China. I sent an email to both companies and received a reply from Costco this morning, see below. I believe the response addresses disease (viral, bacterial, etc.) well enough but not poison. I will be reply specific to that.

-------------------------------

Dear Ed,

Thank you for your email to Costco Wholesale.

The Chicken Jerky Pet Treats sold at Costco (all regions) are made from whole muscle chicken breast meat and are processed just as beef jerky is for humans. We also have our Chicken Jerky Pet Treats irradiated prior to shipping to eliminate bacteria and insure that we do not have any microbial issues.

We also treat all of our pork based treats (pig ears, rolls, ect) with irradiation and have been for the last 8 years.

Thank you,

Taylor
Costco Wholesale Corporation

Note this message was submitted through the costco.com web site customer suggestion page on 12/10/2008 17:02:02 PST

Comment/Suggestion/Request/Question Text:
Can you provide any information or assurance that the Kingdom Pets Original Chicken Jerky that you sell does not have the same issues reported and resulting in recall in Australia The Chicken Jerky on both product is made in China Why are you continuing to sell any food product, human or animal, that contains anything sourced out of China?

I have two unopened bags of this product that I will be returning this weekend I have sent a similar message to Kingdom Pets requesting any information that can assure me this product does not contain the same poisons as the product below also sourced out of China
--------------------------------------------------------

KraMar pulls dog food after poison reports

The importer of a Chinese-made chicken dog treat has today voluntarily recalled the product, after reports of kidney damaging illnesses in dogs around Australia

The company KraMar has withdrawn Supa Naturals Chicken breast strips, which it says is one of Australia''s highest selling dog snacks

A statement issued by KraMar says the withdrawal is a precaution

It says testing has been conducted on every shipment for bacteria and for the poison melamine, which has been connected with cases of kidney malfunction in pets overseas

KraMar''s chief executive Brian Fouche say a link has not been scientifically established

"It is a mystery to us, but in the interests of animal welfare we have decided to take this decision," he said

KraMar says it is considering moving the manufacture of the chicken strip to Australia

The Australian Veterinary Association earlier warned dog owners to immediately contact vets if their dogs show symptoms of kidney problems

Association president Mark Lawrie says dogs may be drinking and urinating a lot, be unusually lethargic or vomiting

"We certainly think that there''s some indicators perhaps that there may be some linkages with some dog-treats," he said

The symptoms are similar to those seen after poisoning with the toxic chemical melamine

There was a mass recall of melamine-contaminated pet food containing Chinese ingredients in the US and Europe last year

Mr Lawrie says the extent of the problem is not yet clear

"There''s been some reports of a thing called Fanconi syndrome, which is where there''s glucose in the urine But the blood levels are normal, indicating that there''s some renal tubular damage or some damage to the kidneys," he said

"There are some reports out there, but it''s hard to quantify at this point "

Research shows link

Researchers from the University of Sydney earlier connected a kidney damaging syndrome in dogs to the chicken snacks

Dr Linda Fleaman says there are a lot of cases around Australia of the normally rare acquired Fanconi syndrome

"The one thing that is common with all of the cases, is that the dogs have among other things, eaten a certain chicken treat that has been sourced in China," he said

"Although we have no idea what the cause of this problem is, we are concerned there''s a link between the feeding of the treat and the emergence of this clinical syndrome "

http://www abc net au/news/stories/2008/12/09/2441919 htm

See less See more
#4 ·
bearsdad said:
I dont think their response cleared up a thing ... still wont buy them if they come from China
I am just sharing information as I get it.

I received a pretty fast response to my reply to Costco. Below
-----------------
Dear Ed,

Thank you for your email to Costco Wholesale.

Our China products are tested for any contamination, bacteria, poisen, etc.

We have sold this product for years and it does go through regular testing especially with all the recalls on similar items.

Thank you,

Taylor
Costco Wholesale Corporation

I want to thank you for your response. I believe that it addresses concerns relative to disease, i.e. Virus, bacteria, etc., but it does not address poisons. i.e. Melamine and others.

Does Costco or your supplier do any tests to assure that there are not poisons such as Melamine added to the product, either during processing, or as feed to the chicken prior to slaughter. Just as your customers are concerned for their own health, the health of our children, most of us regard our pets as valuable members of our family, and in some cases just plain valuable as Champions, Hunters, whatever. The subject product is a wonderful healthy treat for my dogs, and they love it. But if it is tainted with poisons, or might be, how can I feed it to them?

Can you please address the issue of potential poison content?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.