black lab puppies maybe mixed with chow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: black lab puppies maybe mixed with chow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

boatmonkey82 is offline Junior Member

Default black lab puppies maybe mixed with chow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok im about to be upset here , i just purchased 2 black lab pups about 10-12 weeks old , i was told they were pure breed but after a few days around the house i noticed they both have a few black or dark spots on his and her tounges . now i hate a chow chow with all of my heart id rather have 10 pit bulls than one chow , but maybe im ignorant about chows from what i have always seen they were mean dogs not to mention ugly , the boy it 100% black with a small white patch on his chest with a semi glossy coat but the girl is furry and kinda brownish along with being hard headed . what i am asking is does any one know what to expect from this or some opinions on the matter , i work on boats for a living and ride around constanly and i exect them to be well tempered infront of my customers , and i know that has alot to do with training and if they are going to have bad manners then i will get rid of them now vs the future when it will be harder please help before i pull my hair out :'(

mich is offline Senior Member

Default Re: black lab puppies maybe mixed with chow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHOA!!!
    Labs are one of about a dozen breeds with spots on their tongues, and it is completely normal for a purebreed black lab to have a white spot on his chest. And it is possible for a black lab to have a brownish tinge, but it's not common (called mismarked). And labs can be very hard headed, too. Please do your research.

Were these dogs registered?

look at these sites:

http://www.akc.org/breeds/labrador_retriever/index.cfm

http://www.chowwelfare.com/cciw/blacktongue.htm

and many more
    &lt;IMG SRC=&quot;http://usera.imagecave.com/mmalley/31625d31a9d782b8_o-copy.jpg&quot;&gt;<br />ROCKET....the Best Dog Ever!!!

Dani is offline Senior Member

why in the hell did you purchase two? and I echo everything that mich said.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

ok be easy on me i am from a strictly boxer boston terrier and english bull family and thats all i ever had and i have been told that only chows have black or purple markings in the oral area , im sad to say that they have no papers but they lady was in a bind with $$$ and i bought one for 125 and got one free :whatever: of course the girl friend had to have it , i know labs can be hard headed since i am currently baby sitting my best friends chocolate for the weekend . i think ignorance may be playing a big part on my end since that is all i have been told about chows . i have never seen any dog with other than chow with marks on his toun

imported_LuckyGirl is offline Senior Member

both Lucky and Sam have splotches on their tonues and sam has a white spot. Lucky is a definate pure breed from a breeder and the vet has told me that if Sam is mixed she'd like to know with what because he's all lab in every sense of the breed.

Lucky and her tongue

Sam's white splotch. I don't have one of his tongue yet.

They could very well be full labbies.

Labs are extremely hard headed at times and they are very intelligent so their hard headedness seems even worse because they figure out ways around you! Yes it will take lots of training with any pup and even a lab can be 'ill tempered' it's rare but it can happen. I've known really nice chows and I've had a half chow try to tear my face off. I had over 200 stitches in my face just on the surface alone from it, but that was one chow's actions. Hard headed dogs take a firm hand and strong training, I would like to see what my labs would be like without all the work I've put into them... oh wait I can just look at Sam cause he's still a puppy.
    -Brandie<br /><br /><br />Nothing cures a bad mood like a Labrador or three in your lap.

ClarenceMom is offline Senior Member

Fitzgerald has a spot on his tongue and he's a full yellow lab. Make sure you have the time and patience for lots of training-especially with two. Labs are amazing dogs and family members but they need consistent and good training.
    Leigh &amp; Michael <br />Clarence &amp; Fitzgerald, Broomfield, CO<br />

I can't stress enough to you to do some research. I did tons before I brought my lab puppy home, and I've learned so much more in the year I've been on this forum. You have all kinds of resources at your fingertips.

I have the best dog in the world - Rocket is awesome. But I deserve a ton of credit for that. I've learned that labs can be as great as you train them to be, or they can be horrible. I see poor labs dumped at my animal shelter every day because they had owners who didn't know what to do with them - if they had only researched and trained them, they would have had awesome dogs, too.

Anyway, we'd all love to see photos as soon as you have some to post. And don't fret. It sounds like you have a couple of labs.

By the way, here is another post that I've always found very helpful:
    http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/english-american.html

Woodhaven Labrador Retrievers is a fabulous resource for just about everything "lab"!
    http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/tonguespots.html
    &lt;IMG SRC=&quot;http://usera.imagecave.com/mmalley/31625d31a9d782b8_o-copy.jpg&quot;&gt;<br />ROCKET....the Best Dog Ever!!!

Hunter is offline Senior Member

Black spots on the tounge is normal for a Lab.

Here is a pic of my Neighbors dog, sorry for the goofy pic, all I had.

Notice the black spots on the tounge

Labs are very hard headed, however once they learn between right and wrong they can be a great dog. They will love the boat, mine can not get enough of boat rides. About the only issue I have on the boat is going 3/4 to WOT on rough water, then the dogs tend to get a little nervous.

well my friends chocolate is a hellian but if we are 1mile from the truck you can tell her go get and she will run back to the truck , she also rides with him every second and with me running my own mobile marine repair they will be too and if its not too hot ' still young ' they ride with me and i do this so they can get use to different surroundings and other dogs and people , they were in bad shape wehn we got them ' ate up with hook worms ' found that out driving down the road !!! :vomit: :scare: almost wrecked the tahoe but they are on meds now and the vet at petsmart said they had chow in them , hey it was a saturday they were the only ones open .... but thanks for the input and advice and if you guys need any boat help let me know

Quote Originally Posted by boatmonkey82
    well my friends chocolate is a hellian but if we are 1mile from the truck you can tell her go get and she will run back to the truck , she also rides with him every second and with me running my own mobile marine repair they will be too and if its not too hot ' still young ' they ride with me and i do this so they can get use to different surroundings and other dogs and people , they were in bad shape wehn we got them ' ate up with hook worms ' found that out driving down the road !!! :vomit: :scare: almost wrecked the tahoe but they are on meds now and the vet at petsmart said they had chow in them , hey it was a saturday they were the only ones open .... but thanks for the input and advice and if you guys need any boat help let me know
    I still can't wait to see pictures. You'll find that most all of us on this forum have been told our labs are mixed with something. I've been told Rocket is mixed with pit bull (heard this a few times - I think because of his blocky head and shorter, lighter coat), great dane (what where they thinking??), and one other breed I can't seem to recall right now (I remember rolling my eyes, but that's all). There are not a lot of people who know the labrador retriever breed standard along with their various "nuances". For instance, most people think labs are supposed to be much bigger than they truly are, which I believe contributes to most of the confusion. Nor do people recognize that there are two distinct body types - and when your lab is a combination of the two it further confuses things. In other words, research, decide, and ignore what other people say. They don't know it all - not even the vets.
    By the way, there is a Flat Coated Retriever that could be construed as being a lab-chow mix. A friend of mine has a black Flat Coated Retriever, and her hair is thick enough, and long enough, to make anyone think she's a mix.
    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/flatcoatedretriever.htm
    if you scroll down, you'll see pics of puppies.

here is the same info on labs:
    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/labrador.htm

As for the worms - most puppies have them, so nothing to worry about there. Very easy to cure, and in comparison to all the other possible problems any new puppy could have, having worms is nothing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast