Who's the owner?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's the owner?

JustineNYC Guest

Default Who's the owner?

I need some advice on a situation thats arisen with Molly and Dale.

I posted that Molly has hit adolescence and she is a little more defiant, she challenges my commands more etc. Before, if I said come, she came, whereas now I get that look like Hmmm, not sure if i want to I can tell she is developing a personality and a little independance and while that is fine, I still need what Ive taught thus far, obeyed. Well Dale has taken it upon himself to train her and let her know when she is bad.

Basically Dale was an 'only child' for 5 years, so he and I are very close, he is very protective over me, in a Lab way of course, non aggressive. But this is what happens....

Molly goes over to the trash can and I see her try and pop up the lid....I say sternly "Molly....Leave it" and where she used to leave it, she grabbed the napkin and proceeds to walk away with it. I get up and go to her, not knowing what is in it, and as Im like "No no no no, give it to me" Dale comes over, gets in her face and does the "RUFF RUFF RUFF!!!!!"

Its like hes saying.... 'YEA!!!! WHAT MOMMY SAID! YOUR BEING BAD!'

Now I wanted to number one get the napkin off her, and number two redirect her to something she could chew on/occupy her time with and praise her.....but with Dale yappin in her face she gets all excited, within seconds it turns into bitey face cause she thinks he is playing....and I have lost all of her concentration in teaching her whatever she did wrong.

This has happened before....if her and I are playing, and she gets too excited, she'll nibble too hard. Ill say "OW Molly! No bite!" And Dale is in her face "RUFF RUFF RUFF!!!!!!" Translation, "Your making mommy mad!!!!"

Hes not aggressive.....its almost like he is telling her whatever I am saying but in dog language, its even a little cute......but its just taking a situation to train, redirect and reward and killing it....because it breaks out into play and completely takes over her attention. It sucks because thats the few seconds I need her attention more, and this is the only time this is happening with Dale interfering.

What do I do? Does anyone with multiple dogs have this happen?

justadoptedlabsnok is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Who's the owner?

While you are working with her you need to tell Dale that you have it under control and see what happens then.
    My boys butt out when the other is in trouble actually they look at the other one like I cant believe you really just did that again. sometimes it is funny. but they dont scold each other .

good luck. it will work out.
    <br />DON&#39;T SWEAT THE LITTLE STUFF!<br /><br />DON&#39;T COMPLAIN JUST WORK HARDER!

patm is offline Senior Member

Since you can kind of predict this, try telling Dale "it's OK - Sit" and make him stay while you take care of whatever you need to do. It IS kind of cute to picture this happening

amazongold is offline Senior Member

My two totally separate when I correct one of them. If I correct Champ, Buddy usually heads for his crate! It's like he's saying he wants no part of the bad brother. They never interfere when I am correcting, just when I am trying to train something, becuse one is getting positive attention and the other isn't.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

you need to tell Dale that you have it under control and see what happens then.
    This made me snicker.

Justine, I feel your pain. I'm going through the same thing with Macy, but I have 2 brothers getting in her face. Frankie wants to play, and Tucker is the one 'RUFF RUFF RUFFing'. :whatever:
    "Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

haha! I have this happen at my house as well. My shepherd has actually body blocked and "herded" my lab when he is getting into something or being a PITA (scratching at the chair I am sitting in to get my attention for example). But when he really steps out of line and she corrects him - he is never under the impression that she is playing. She makes him freeze, do those little submissive tongue flicks - he won't make eye contact until she backs off. Pretty effective discipline for him actually.
    Sharon

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Wow, I think you have an interpreter trying to help!!! It's funny, sorry but very funny. I can just see it.

JustineNYC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff
    you need to tell Dale that you have it under control and see what happens then.
    This made me snicker.

Justine, I feel your pain. I'm going through the same thing with Macy, but I have 2 brothers getting in her face. Frankie wants to play, and Tucker is the one 'RUFF RUFF RUFFing'. :whatever:
    Oh that makes me feel better :snore:

I mean Im grateful he isnt yapping at me....My friend had a dog that you couldnt scold in front of the other dog because he'd get angry.

Bu its a little bit of chaos nonetheless

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rushpuppy
    Wow, I think you have an interpreter trying to help!!! It's funny, sorry but very funny. I can just see it.
    Yes - she is 9 years older than him and 30 pounds lighter and he totally bends to her will. She is the enforcer - sometimes she will look at me as if asking permission to go kick his butt when he is being a bozo.
    Sharon

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I see this quite often in mine. My interpretation is a little different. I don't think Dale is helping to scold Molly, I think he doesn't like you scolding her and he is diverting the situation to play.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast