Effective and cheaper alternatives to Frontline Plus?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Effective and cheaper alternatives to Frontline Plus?

Default Effective and cheaper alternatives to Frontline Plus?

Is there an alternative to Frontline Plus that is just as effective, but cheaper?
    My dear boys <br /><br /><br />The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.&nbsp; - Andy Rooney

JustineNYC Guest

Default Re: Effective and cheaper alternatives to Frontline Plus?

Ive never used it but DrFosters has that Bio Spot on

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...1&pcatid=15661

Dani is offline Senior Member

The reports I have read on Biospot are inconsistent at best. I don't find Frontline to be overly expensive if bought online, and I only use it about 2 to 3 times a year.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

JustineNYC Guest

And what Ive read on Promeris scares me. I havent heard any complaints about Frontline, I buy it online as well.

Keep in mind this is a chemical insecticide that is going to penetrate your dogs skin, enter his blood and kill insects that bite him. IMO, its one thing you shouldnt look to buy cheap. Frontline may be more expensive but from what Ive heard, it seems to be the safest.

My mom used to use the cheap stuff (Hartz) and it gave her dogs seizures.

You never know with those chemicals.

Thanks for the replies! I think I will stick with Frontline Plus then.
    My dear boys <br /><br /><br />The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.&nbsp; - Andy Rooney

Tundra Aries Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    The reports I have read on Biospot are inconsistent at best. I don't find Frontline to be overly expensive if bought online, and I only use it about 2 to 3 times a year.
    Same here.

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by breezesunshine
    Thanks for the replies! I think I will stick with Frontline Plus then.
    It is expensive, but I only use a few tubes a year like Dani. I've never had an issue with fleas, so the only time I use Frontline is if he has a bunch of ticks on him. I have a fine-toothed comb that I go over Jes with during tick season (after he's been in the woods), and if there are just a few ticks, I just pick them off. If there are quite a few, I apply Frontline. I use it as a treatment as opposed to a preventative, especially since ticks have to bite anyways.

I've heard too many bad stories about the off brands that use harsher chemicals than fipronil. Fipronil (Frontline) has repeatedly been shown to be safe for dogs. Perhaps if you can use it less frequently, you can cut costs that way. Also, if ticks aren't an issue, Frontline actually works for more than a month for fleas. I believe it works for 3 months, but only on adult fleas. I'll have to double check the accuracy of that, though.

2lablady is offline Member

I used to use Frontline Plus but no use Bug Off Garlic from Springtime Inc. It works against fleas and ticks. Comes in tablet form or granules which I find I get more out of it. So far it's worked great for my guys.

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

I know you've decided to stick with the FrontlinePlus, but I forgot to add another benefit to using something that kills adult fleas as well as the larval stages - if your dog has or develops flea allergy dermatitis, all it takes is ONE bite from ONE flea to send them spiraling down a very ugly path of skin irritation, scratching, etc.

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.

+ Reply to Thread