Just Labradors banner

Question about a possible hernia?? Pictures inside

13K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Tundra Aries 
#1 ·
Hi

I'm new but have been reading the forum for a while. I noticed a lump on Susie's abdomen the other day. After reading around I believe it is a hernia? Does anyone else know what it could possibly be? I can touch it and it doesn't bother her. She is eating, drinking, and using the bathroom regularly. It is somewhat hard and doesn't really move around.

Also she was spayed in October 2007 and is now 2 years old.

The soonest I can get a appointment with the vet is Monday the 24th. I have restricted her running and playing until the vet can see her.

Thank you.

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Dale has a "bubble" lump on his ribcage that is a Lipoma...basically a fatty deposit. Definitely want a vet to look at it either way. Lipomas are usually only removed when they bother the animal are prevent it from running or moving its extremities.

#4 ·
An inguinal hernia is pretty rare in a dog, especially a spayed female... could it be a lymph node? Has she injured/licked/broken a nail/scraped/etc. the foot or leg on that side? I would definitely get her to the vet for her to be looked at. Is there one on the other side?

#5 ·
Baloo317 said:
Looks like an inguinal hernia (WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT GOOGLE THAT!!) :laugh:
already had googled it :-X

CaliforniaLabLover said:
An inguinal hernia is pretty rare in a dog, especially a female... could it be a lymph node? Has she injured/licked/broken a nail/scraped/etc. the foot or leg on that side? I would definitely get her to the vet for her to be looked at. Is there one on the other side?
"Inguinal Hernias:
Hernias in the groin commonly occur in female dogs that are pregnant or experiencing bloating or constipation. I occasionally see the problem in male dogs as well. In all cases, tissue that belongs in the rear of the abdominal cavity presses
out through a weak area surrounding the femoral artery and nerve. Usually the hernia sac contains nothing but fat. It is reducible back into the abdomen with finger pressure. Under general anesthesia, I carefully dissect out the entire sac with scissors and scalpel down until it resembles a small balloon attached to the thigh Then I carefully replace it into the abdomen. One has to be very cautious in darning the hole shut not to pinch the femoral artery or nerve. It is quite common for a second hernia form later on the unaffected opposite groin so to be safe, I repair both sides. I have seen a few inguinal hernias in immature pekingeses that were too young to become pregnant and the condition occasionally occurs in males. When it does the surgery is the same. Post surgical scaring reinforces and blocks future hernias at the site – I have never had one reoccur."
http://www.2ndchance.info/hernia.htm

I noticed it late at night after we came in from playing. I see nothing wrong with her leg/foot...she's walking normal. It is only on the right side even though the pictures sort of make it look like its on both.

Are lymph nodes hard?

#8 ·
mylabsusie said:
It is only on the right side even though the pictures sort of make it look like its on both.

Are lymph nodes hard?
Inguinal hernias are definitely not something I would call "common" in any dog, but especially not a spayed female (sorry, I forgot to include the "spayed" in my initial reply) without any history of trauma like being hit by a car. Usually, if they occur, it is related to pregnancy (though not always). Can you "reduce" the lump (ie- push it back down so that it goes away)? Is it more spread out or a very distinct lump?

Lymph nodes can be soft or sometimes more firm. I agree- It is tough to tell from the photos where on her belly this lump is...is it firmly attached?

#9 ·
buddysmom said:
Is it in the mammary gland that runs along either side of the midline?
It could be in the mammary gland. It is right next to her last nipple. When she is on her back the lump is hard and doesn't move. When standing it is not nearly as hard.

CaliforniaLabLover said:
mylabsusie said:
It is only on the right side even though the pictures sort of make it look like its on both.

Are lymph nodes hard?
Inguinal hernias are definitely not something I would call "common" in any dog, but especially not a spayed female (sorry, I forgot to include the "spayed" in my initial reply) without any history of trauma like being hit by a car. Usually, if they occur, it is related to pregnancy (though not always). Can you "reduce" the lump (ie- push it back down so that it goes away)? Is it more spread out or a very distinct lump?

Lymph nodes can be soft or sometimes more firm. I agree- It is tough to tell from the photos where on her belly this lump is...is it firmly attached?
I applied some pressure but it did not reduce in size. The more I feel it, it seems to be squishy at the surface but hard deeper inside. The squishy part resembles a lump but the harder part is more flat and elongated. I wonder if it could be a pulled muscle?

I will be bringing her to the vet on Monday.

G
#10 ·
This sounds weird but when you touch it does it move like a little ball of jello? If that's that case it's probably just a Lipoma aka Fatty Tumor. It wouldn't hurt to have the vet check it out. I have seen inguinal hernias on older dogs that have been spayed before too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.