two dogs is easier than one
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: two dogs is easier than one

justine is offline Senior Member

Default two dogs is easier than one

Hi everyone,

We are thinking about getting a second dog. I have heard from many that two dogs is easier than one.

WHY?! I need help convincing my mom that it will be easier with two dogs.

Thanks!!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Default Re: two dogs is easier than one

I'd wait until the one you have is a little older, and reliably trained (if she is already, then ignore that last bit. )

That'll make it much easier to train/raise #2.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

Easier? I don't think so.

Twice the food, toys, collars, leashes, crates, beds, vet bills, training classes, hair, love. Absolutely!
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

Dani is offline Senior Member

No, it's not any easier...but it's no harder either....BUT only if you have a reliably trained dog already in the house, you have money for additional vet bills, food, toys, etc. And you have the time to train and care for the 2nd dog. Many people make the mistake of getting a 2nd dog to entertain the first so that they can pay a little less attention to the first. That ain't how it happens. You have 2 dogs which is twice the training, both individually and together, twice the need for exercise, and twice the poop. Everything I do for Rider, I have to do for Rookie.

I love having two, and plan to add a third eventually; however, it isn't easier.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Tundra Aries Guest

I don't think it's easier, like said above, more bills, more food, more dog hair, more vacuuming, more running around the house, I do love my two dogs and wouldn't want it any other way though!! ;D

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I am planning on getting a second dog in the not too distant future and I don't expect it to be easier. Things like double vet bills, toys, food etc., come with the equation and I am prepared for that but I don't look at that part as an added burnen, but the things that come with having two dogs, just like vet bills, food, toyus, etc., come with one dog. Tal is 19 months, and fairly well trained, does well around other dogs and enjoys their company.

As for training and one on one time, I know that going in also. I see it as an opportunity to have a second canine companion. I am thinking training a second wiull be somewhat eaiers because Tal is already trained and will, hopefully, communicate the ropes around here.

It will also be nice for Tal because he will have a canine friend. Not my main reason at all for getting a second, but it is a small consideration.

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

2 dogs are easier in that they will play together. When mine are playing together I'm not working with them or entertaining them. However, everything else everyone said is true. It is harder to train two, you have double everything. Although I only take one walk, but walking two is harder than walking one. If I had the time I'd wouldn't walk them together just so I would get 1-1 time with them. You'll have 2 in the bed vs 1 and if they are both on the couch there isn't any room for anyone else .
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

justine is offline Senior Member

hmmm. yes well Abbey is all mine (i pay for her toys, food, vet bills, etc) and now my mom wants one of her own.. haha. so i'm not the one who would be paying the bills and all that for a second dog. it sounds bad, but Abbey really is our family's dog, but i am the "master" to her, and we would like to add another one to the family. Abbey's been in training since we got her and she is very good.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I had a foster (lab) for over a month and no, it was NOT easier. They didn't play together much and it was almost twice the work (everything took abit longer). It would have been even more work had I kept him longer as I would have gotten into classes. And these were two older, trained dogs.

It's easier when the first one is fully trained and can teach the puppy some of hte rules of the house. Otherwise it can be mayhem (puppy learns all the bad habits - so you have TWO dogs to retrain!)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

LABS4ME2 is offline Junior Member

Rylie was 14 months when we got Henry. They do great together. It is more
    work, more food, more vet bills. It is also more love and cuddles. There were no problems with Rylie when we brought Henry home. They are crate trained and they insist on being together in the same crate.They only go in there when we go some where for more than a couple of hours. They both sleep with my daughter at night.(All though Henry thinks he is going to win the battle with my husband for his side of the bed. Persistent little booger he is.) She couldn't be happier. I would get one more if Hubby would let me. I don't think that will happen.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast