Male Lab Vs Female Lab
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Male Lab Vs Female Lab

fburke is offline Senior Member

Default Male Lab Vs Female Lab

Iím sure this has been asked beforeÖbut Iím curious to members who have both or have experience with both sexes. Is there a difference in temperament and behavior between male labs and female labs?

I ask this because we are looking to add a chocolate to my family and my wife and I have a difference of opinion.

I have had several dogs over the years (she has not) and I have always had better luck with females. My male dog use to mark his territory around the house no matter how many times I took him out, this was a nuisance on and off almost all his life .

I have never had a female do this and Willow or my other female dogs never had any accidents on the house once they were trained with the exception of the occasional upset stomach.

Now my brother in law has 2 male Labs and both are great dogs they seem a little calmer than Willow and much better behaved!. They both have been able to be left alone without a crate by the time they were a year where Willow is going on 2 and to save my house I have to crate her when I am not home. There has been no special training in fact most of the techniques we both have used and shared notes.

So I want a female and the wife wants a male, in the behavior department I think itís the luck of the draw and the breeder. Any input?

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Male Lab Vs Female Lab

I think it depends more on the dog than anything, personally. Any "truths" about male dogs or female dogs have a whole whack of exceptions.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    I think it depends more on the dog than anything, personally. Any "truths" about male dogs or female dogs have a whole whack of exceptions.
    Agree. It is personal preferrence.
    I have had male and female. I always said never a male again.I prefer a smaller dog and I hate the leg lifting on plants and walls.
    I got used to it.Size and peeing.
    People say a male is more loving. Kassa was way more loving than Ernie, but I had her as a pup and he didn't cuddle up on the couch with his familly. He may never have.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by fburke
    I have had several dogs over the years (she has not) and I have always had better luck with females. My male dog use to mark his territory around the house no matter how many times I took him out, this was a nuisance on and off almost all his life .
    I have both, and I can honestly say that my adult, intact (not neutered) male has only peed in the house 3x's and all during puppy potty-training, while my female was a nightmare to potty-train (she was 5 months before we felt more confident with taking our eyes off of her temporarily while cooking dinner, etc.) and has since peed in the house as an adult 4 different times, right after going outside. She is a dog we virtually have to get stern just to get her to go outside in the first place, though...she would much rather remain indoors in her "princess and the pea" bed stack in the living room. And she had a lot to do with "potty-training" our male when he was a baby, I'm sure. Ours are also both bell-trained...they ring sleigh bells hanging off of the door handle to ask to be let out for potty breaks.

If YOU are the boss, it is YOUR house, and your dog understands it, you should not ever have a problem with behavioral marking even in an intact male dog.

As far as personality traits, this is something I was told by a breeder friend of mine which applies to the female vs. male in our household. By the way, I love them both to death...they are my "kids." My friend told me that "A female lab will come up to you to be petted and say, 'love me, love me, love me.' while a male lab will come up to you to be petted and say with adoration, 'love you, love you, love you.'" In our family's case, our girl is much more independent than our boy (who has to follow us around and be a part of the "scene" in any room we move to).

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

ks02 is offline Senior Member

I don't have a TON of experience to go by, but I had females growing up, and they were much more independent. Riley is an 85 pound lap dog who is nothing but a big sap and a teddy bear who always has to be near me, if not touching or (even better) ON me when possible. He is neutered, though, and has been since he was a little under 5 months. He's now 17 months. My golden, Cooper, is almost 5 months and is even MORE affectionate than Riley, I would say. He's not neutered and won't be until he's at least 18 months. SO FAR (crossing my fingers), they have never shown any dominance whatsoever toward me. They do hump each other : but I suppose that's just a dog thing. Neither has ever EVER marked in the house, and I'm pretty sure they would know better than to ever try.

I say if you are hoping for a velcro dog who wants to be touching you all the time, go for a boy, and if you want a dog who might be more independent, go with a girl. I'm sure there are PLENTY of exceptions out there, and you might get a boy who could care less about cuddling, or a girl you couldn't keep off you. Either way, you'll more than likely be adding a dog who will become a great friend that you will love unconditionally regardless of gender. ;D

Just a final comment I thought of...spin off of CaliforniaLabLover...my mom had a female mix who she had a TERRIBLE time potty training. I think she was around 5 or 6 months before she was accident free. Riley had just two accidents in the house the ENTIRE time I've had him, and Cooper was trained in under 3 weeks. Again, I'm sure it could just be coincidence, but personally, I will more than likely keep getting boys as long as I have dogs.

Dani is offline Senior Member

My preference is males. Never have had a problem with marking inside. Not once. In general though, my experience is that females are stubborn and more independent. There are exceptions to the rule of course, but fostering and interacting with my neighbor's female golden retrievers, boy, oh boy...I just prefer to the the only bitch in the house.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Mischa's Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaLabLover

In our family's case, our girl is much more independent than our boy (who has to follow us around and be a part of the "scene" in any room we move to).
    I have 2 girls. One has to follow me around and lay on my feet when I go to the bathroom while the other comes for huggs and kisses and then moves off to her own thing. I think it depends on the dog. They both get the same attention and loving and yet one of them never seems to get enough

Thunders Mom is offline Senior Member

Thunder, intact male, has NEVER marked in the house and he is a love bug. Follows us around like a shadow. Simba, spayed female, is an attention hound, CANNOT EVER get enough lovin's. She took forever to house train, but I think that it had something to do with her previous owners, 14-16 hrs. in a crate, etc. Once housetrained though, perfect angel. I wouldn't trade either one of them. I agree with the others, it depends on the dog and their personality. Some are aloof and others attention hounds! Gotta love 'em!

It's not the destination, it's the journey!

fburke is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ks02
    I say if you are hoping for a velcro dog who wants to be touching you all the time, go for a boy, and if you want a dog who might be more independent, go with a girl. I'm sure there are PLENTY of exceptions out there, and you might get a boy who could care less about cuddling, or a girl you couldn't keep off you. Either way, you'll more than likely be adding a dog who will become a great friend that you will love unconditionally regardless of gender. ;D
    That funny because Willow, my female is a Velcro dog, at lease to me. She isnít like that to other members of my family but she always has to go where I am.

If Iím sitting on the couch she will jump up there with me and rest her head on my lap. If I boot her off so my wife can sit with me Willow will give this pathetic sad Labby face

Bu I do agree she is very stubborn and if she doesnít want to do something she wont. Typical woman

sunnylaz is offline Senior Member

Our first lab was a girl, and we thought we wanted a girl this time around also. We went searching and it turned out our breeder had a male that suited our personality and what we were looking for better. She does playdrive tests at 6 weeks, plus they are with them every day for 8 weeks. Jonah is very much a cuddler, lover, and shadow. I wouldn't want it any other way, and that is the way she had him pinned at 5-6 weeks. So maybe your breeder can help you decide based on the dog's personality rather than the sex. Jonah has never marked or humped (he's only 7 months old though, so I that may be later). He was very easy to potty train.
    <br />Jonah - born 6/20/07

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast