Swollen Ear Flap - What's Causing It?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swollen Ear Flap - What's Causing It?

Default Swollen Ear Flap - What's Causing It?

I just let Cooper in and after wiping off his paws, I gave him an ear rub. When I let his ear flaps pass through my hands, I felt a big lump on his left flap. Almost the entire flap is swollen. It doesn't feel hot, I cannot see any punctures, scrapes or anything resembling a bite from an insect (although being winter, I highly doubt it would be....but we have had it pretty mild recently and it doesn't take much for spiders and such to get active again). We just came back from a 1.5 hr hike where he was off-leash for most of it. He was running a lot, under branches of trees and such. We did meet some other dogs with whom he romped for a few minutes but no bitey face or anything like that. A few minutes ago I looked at him and he was laying with that ear under his head so perhaps it's not painful. But it certainly explains why he seemed hesitant to shake his head earlier this afternoon.

Any thoughts on what this is? This is the LAST thing I need right now - I have a a really busy week as I am leaving on Friday to go overseas to visit my hubby. If the flap hasn't returned to its normal, flat self by tomorrow after work, I'm going to have to squeeze a vet appt in somewhere!

Thanks,

Bev.
    <br /><br />&quot;Maintiens Le Droit&quot;

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Swollen Ear Flap - What's Causing It?

It's called a hematoma. Generally due to them flapping their head a lot if they have an ear infection. It can be very painful for the dog and should be seen by a vet ASAP. Sometimes they need to drain it. I had a Golden that got it in both ears and he was miserable. We ended up having to tie/tape his ears down so he couldn't flap them while it healed.

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    It's called a hematoma. Generally due to them flapping their head a lot if they have an ear infection. It can be very painful for the dog and should be seen by a vet ASAP. Sometimes they need to drain it. I had a Golden that got it in both ears and he was miserable. We ended up having to tie/tape his ears down so he couldn't flap them while it healed.
    Ditto. My golden and cocker spaniel had them many times. It will need to be drained as it will only keep filling up with blood. Luckily, none of mine ever had to have surgery, a few drains took care of it, but some had had to have surgeries to repair.

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

Yep, one of my past labs had a haematoma from a bang on the ear, it's when the ear fills up like a pocket full of blood.

Jasper my current black adult dog also had one when he was run over that time.

The vet made a small inscision to drain it if i remember rightly.

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

justadoptedlabsnok is offline Senior Member

My Gus had a hematoma last summer and he had to have surgery to repair it. I wasn't happy with how it looked I was actually pissed off at my vet for letting a student do surgery on my boy. He got a piece of my mind on that matter now anytime me or my boys show up he is the only one that touches them.

but the surgery was a must.

we used panty hose to hold his ears down to his head until it healed and he didn't seem to mind because it was light on him.
    <br />DON&#39;T SWEAT THE LITTLE STUFF!<br /><br />DON&#39;T COMPLAIN JUST WORK HARDER!

georgie is offline Senior Member

Shadow, our last lab, had a hematoma from shaking her head...no ear infection. But the vet just drained it & it never came back.

Thanks for the posts. I am worried about this, for a number of reasons. I googled "pinna hematoma" and all the articles echoed what you folks said re: possible surgery, etc. It also said normally this is as a result of excessive shaking/scratching behind/at the ear due to an ear infection. His ear(s) seem fine, no redness, discharge or any other abnormalities noted. To my recollection, he has not been scratching more than usual.

My worries are that he is to go to the kennel on Thursday night and they are very particular about the dogs/cats they accept there. I am concerned (and perhaps needlessly) that they may turn us away on Thursday night if he does have an infection (even though by that day, I would have had him to the vet, etc.). I know I am probably worrying for nothing but it's what I do best! : I leave on Friday for holidays - and if it were just a road trip somewhere, no biggie but this is no road trip, it's a trip to Egypt! If the kennel won't take Cooper, I am really in a bind. The only people I know of that I would consider asking to take Cooper are my neighbours on either side...but they both have cats and Cooper + cats = disaster. Sigh.

I tried calling the vet but their office is closed (I simply wanted to leave a message to call me ASAP tomorrow a.m. but they don't even give you that option). The emergency vet clinics they recommend charge $100 right out of the chute (for any Ottawa peeps reading this, ever been to the Alta Vista Animal Hospital - they are one of the places my vet refers to. Called them once and the first thing they said is that it would be $100 just to been seen...yikes. Don't get me wrong - Cooper's my baby and I'll pay anything to make him better but $100 just to enter the bldg? Come on.)

Cooper doesn't seem to be in any pain, he's snoozing in his crate right now. If I thought he was in any discomfort I'd be on the road to the hospital with him. :'(

Bev.

Quote Originally Posted by georgie
    Shadow, our last lab, had a hematoma from shaking her head...no ear infection. But the vet just drained it & it never came back.
    Hope that's the outcome with Cooper.....

Bev.

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Oh no, poor Cooper!! Too bad we're not closer, we'd totally babysit for you! Hope his ear is all better by the time you leave later this week.

Called them once and the first thing they said is that it would be $100 just to been seen...yikes. Don't get me wrong - Cooper's my baby and I'll pay anything to make him better but $100 just to enter the bldg?
    The St.Catharines e-vet was like this too. :-\

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

My mums dog had this thats why his ear flops on one side its called a (excuse my spelling) haematoma.

Where the cartilidge seperates and fills with blood. The vet put 3 holes in the lump to let it drain as it always fills back up and she said he could even loose his ear. I def see a vet about it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast