Just Labradors banner

Can Parvo stunt growth (pics included)

12K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Sams Mom 
#1 ·
I've been wanting to ask this question for the longest time. But never seemed to be able to do it. From what research I've done...no it doesn't (meant to add if treated). But Duke's parents were very big. The litter was all equal size. But 5 days after we brought Duke home...he got very sick. This is what he looked like the day before we took him in.

It ended up being Parvo. He was in the hospital for 5 days. We almost lost him, but he had the strong will to live. He's still strongwilled ::)

Looked much better when we finally were able to bring him home. But he did lose 1 pound when he was in the hospital

He's grown up real well. But he is still small for a lab, at least by what I compare him with. I know he's going to be smaller than the bench line. But he seems small compared to other field line labs. His health is good, his bones, everything else about him is great...well except attitude some times ....hey, he's a Lab. Here's what he looks like now. 78#'s and 22 inches at the shoulders...base of the neck...whatever the correct term is.

I love him just the way he is...just wanted some feedback. Thanks

See less See more
#5 ·
Hi - don't know about the parvo, but just measured my yellow lab and he is 22inch and he looks the right size compared to other working labs where I live, anyway an inch either way won't matter as long as the dog is healthy and happy. He looks a fine dog to me.

#6 ·
Well if he's stunted, Angus is too! :D

Angus is a little taller, 24", but he weighs only 70# (give or take...)

I don't see what you're talking about at all. I think Duke looks terrific!!

#7 ·
Thank-you very much for your feedback. Like I had said, I've waited for a long time to ask this question. Guess time flies when you are having fun. Having a Lab is lots of fun. :D

To answer Labby's question...Duke will be 4 years old in November.

I guess like people, even with genetics, you can be short or tall. And even if Duke seems short or just right....he's just right for me. :)

#8 ·
I had a lab mix (Lab and Pitbull), same story, he had Parvo, 5 days, almost died too. I can't say how tall, or big he would of been, but I know for him, he always seemed on the small side to me. Yet after working for the vet for so many years in the past, I have seen a lot of survivors of Parvo, and Most seemed of normal stature later on.

-Shannon

#9 ·
Henery is 4 years and 5 months (almost) and comes from bench lines on both sides. He measures 23" at the withers and weighs about 68-69 lbs.

Duke certainly grew up well! Handsome guy!! ;)

#11 ·
I just wanted to say he's absolutely GORGEOUS! :)

Field can vary a lot in height. I know in US they are usually much higher/leggier than we are used to in Sweden. Emma is 21½ inches and weighs about 54.5 lbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.