How do you teach a dog to jump from dock
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you teach a dog to jump from dock

imported_blacklab1973 is offline Senior Member

Default How do you teach a dog to jump from dock

Ernie is a great swimmer---can't keep him out of the water. However we always just walk him in where before Ernie my husband and I would jump off the dock. I just wondered how people go about training their dogs to jump off the dock.

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

Default Re: How do you teach a dog to jump from dock

I dunno..but I want to know how you kayaked with Ernie and he didn't tip the kayak!

imported_Dukesdad is offline Senior Member

Tease him with a bumber until he is really excited then toss it off the dock. My bet is he will follow it.
    Make sure to praise his effort as he swims back.
    <br />Duke and Freckles

DFWLab is offline Senior Member

This past weekend there was an Explorer TV series show on the "Science of Dogs' which I recommend watching. Talked about evolution of species.

Anyways...it featured some Labs on the show that were champion distance jumpers from a dock. And that's what they did, teased with the bumper and these labs went FLYIN' off the dock.... i think the champs would fly like 10 feet. Really cool to see these labs!

keep an eye out for the show ...it was on National Geographic channel IIRC

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

I have read that you start on dry land next to the water. Tease the dog with a favorite bumper or water toy. Ask him to jump for it. Then move into shallow water (ankle deep.) As the dog becomes more comfortable jumping in the water, gradually move further out into the water. When you get the dog jumping up after the toy in water that is deep enough to stand in, but not over their head, move to the dock and do the same. Tease and ask him to jump, and throw the toy or bumper into the water.
    Mine learned to jump accidentally--they fell off the dock!
    If I know every single phone call youve made, Im able to determine every single person youve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And were gonna trust the president and the vice president that theyre doing the right thing? Dont count me in on that.
    Joe Biden, 2006

I don't know, the suggestions posted sound great. Cooper just jumped in - while our backs were turned! No fear.

Bev.
    <br /><br />&quot;Maintiens Le Droit&quot;

dugan51 is offline Junior Member

Some of them are so motivated to go for the stick that it seems they just start jumping off without thinking about it. That's what mine did. You might also bring another dog who already jumps off the dock. Then when your dog sees the other one doing jumping, it may follow it.

sidneygirl is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFWLab
    This past weekend there was an Explorer TV series show on the "Science of Dogs' which I recommend watching. Talked about evolution of species.

Anyways...it featured some Labs on the show that were champion distance jumpers from a dock. And that's what they did, teased with the bumper and these labs went FLYIN' off the dock.... i think the champs would fly like 10 feet. Really cool to see these labs!

keep an eye out for the show ...it was on National Geographic channel IIRC
    I saw that show, it was very interesting
    <br /><br />RUGER, JUST CHILLIN

sidneygirl is offline Senior Member

we took ruger for the first time to the river, he was alittle not sure about jumping, but here is a picture of him just getting the hang of it, there was another lab so he did follow him.....

Ruger was jumping right from the end of the dock, I think if he would have started back and ran for the stick it he would have been able to jump better, hey what do ya want for the first time
    <br /><br />RUGER, JUST CHILLIN

Hunter is offline Senior Member

Duke is a natural at dock jumping

My Yellow, runs full speed to the end of the dock, slams on the brakes and makes a half hearted attempt at jumping in.

From what I have seen, some dogs love it, some don't.

Like others have said, use a favorite toy to get them excited, throw the toy a few feet into the water. As the dog get more accustomed to the jump, throw the toy further into the water. If you want to go into more detail you can do a search on "Dock Dogs", you will find everything you ever want to know about dock jumping.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast