for those with 3 or more labs .. (or yellow labs) :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: for those with 3 or more labs .. (or yellow labs) :)

ShadowDancin is offline Senior Member

Default for those with 3 or more labs .. (or yellow labs) :)

Okay so I have been seriously wanting another labby... I know Sparrow is only 5 months old but she has been maturing into suuch an awesome well behaved pup... I feel my family is incomplete... I want a yellow lab ... BADLY!!!! we have a chocolate and a black and I want a yellow baby.. I dont mean an actual puppy though... There is a lab rescue that has plenty of grown up pups for me to pick from and the woman who coordinates it is so awesome to work with..... I want an adult female for sure.. I just wonder is it alot more work to have 3 labs rather than just 2?? I have never had more than 2 dogs at a time .. I dont want to get in over my head ... and before I get the whole "do you have time, love, etc, etc." yes I do .. I only work 15 hours a week.. We have a huge fenced in yard and more love for labbies than you could shake a stick at

I also wonder are the mannerisms of a yellow the same as that of a chocolate or a black.. I know all dogs are different, but I have never had a yellow and all the blackies we have had have been very similar in behavior .. any input is appreciated...

imported_Ninemiler is offline Senior Member

Default Re: for those with 3 or more labs .. (or yellow labs) :)

I had all sorts of doubts when I picked up Lab #3 from the shelter and was heading home. I'd never had 3 dogs at once, either, and I also wondered if I'd taken on too much.

Three dogs are more work than two, but we've had Sadie for a year now and I feel as though the pack is complete. I had always wanted one of each color, and when I learned about the fat little black Lab nobody wanted - how could I say no?

We have a great setup for the 3 dogs, and even though we both work f/t, all the dogs get a ton of hiking and swimming, and they fit in very well with our lifestyle. We thought long and hard each time we added a new Lab to the family.

Three is also more expensive - especially kenneling everyone when we travel for work or take our yearly trip to Mexico. But people spend $30K on a new truck and never think twice about it, so if we opt to spend our $ on our dogs - so be it. Three is a handful, but if you love Labs and you think things through, you'll handle the herd with love!
    <br /><br />&quot;My little dog -- a heartbeat at my feet.&quot;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; --Edith Wharton

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I also wonder are the mannerisms of a yellow the same as that of a chocolate or a black.. I know all dogs are different
    Color has NO determination -- as far as anyone knows -- on personality, temperament, traits, etc.

You can take it even farther -- all Labs are different (once you get to know them).
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Hubs said as soon as I figure out how to fit a couple more in my jeep I can get them! ;D- Should point out that its a Jeep Wrangler, which right now has no top on it! Sammi does fine with her harness and seat belt, 1 or 2 more, probably not ! I would really love one of each color, or even one more of any color, jsut dont know how do it with our freq. travels- one is so easy!!

imported_CHOCO4ME is offline Senior Member

Have 2 chocolates and 2 Mutt rescues! The more the merrier. Although, I cannot get a new, smaller car.....where would the dogs sit??? Oh well, sticking with the Tahoe....
    Jake, Blue and Ginger<br />

imported_VHLabs is offline Senior Member

I currently have 5 siberian huskies and 2 labs... I had acquired my first lab around xmas last year and his name is Shadow... as you can probably guess he is black. I have had huskies for about 12 years now and was just in awww in how easy to train a lab was..he is more lovable and wanting to please. Dont get me wrong, I love my huskies but you can surely tell a difference in the breeds. Being I loved Shadow so much, Nugget came this weekend.... a yellow lab from the same breeder. Nugget is Shadows half brother. Now you know I cant stop with not having a chocolate.... but that will have to wait till next year With 7 dogs, another pile of poop to clean, another bowl to fill is no big deal...yes you do have to watch money and buy in bulk as much as possible. My dog food I get in bulk and delivered right to my door. Save me bundled over buying at the petstore. All are trained in the same manner and all know what is expected of them here at Davron Siberians and Labs!!!

Felix Guest

Evry dog has his own personality, and as i already said once before .. the color of a dog (labrador in this case) may not be a issue when you pick one to join the pack

Other issue ... I've read that you're current Labrador is 5 months of age .. If you asked me in person, i whould say, just wait !! ...

Wait until this youngster is a year of 1 / 2 and then pick another Labrador to join the pack, because a 5 months old dog has a lot of new things to learn, and how whould you manage with two of them ???

Suc6! 8)

brody is offline Senior Member

Living in a multiple dog house is wonderful BUT it is very different then living with a pair of dogs...

If I could choose I would space my dogs about 2-4 years apart ... that way each puppy would develop good habits from the other dogs and have a chance to be the baby ...

expense is certainly something to consider but something else is how welcome your pack is when you go places - we like to take our dogs with us and now have to make choices about who comes where

I think its great you want another dog and (from my point of view- see my siggy) a rescue but take it slow and let your new fella grow up at least a bit more

cheers
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do. H. Keller

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Go for it; definitely rescue a dog. With your work schedule and a fenced in backyard, you have most of the problems solved right there. I would say walking more than 2 at a time is difficult, but with the fenced in yard, you're okay there. I currently have 4 and the only difference is that my yellows shed much more than the others. Keep us posted!

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

The jump from two to three is huge...most people only have two arms I too would recommend waiting until your pup was older. Eventhough you're thinking of bringing an adult into the picture, it will be a puppy trainingwise in your home...two puppies is a really bad idea for most homes.
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast