aggressive puppy ??
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: aggressive puppy ??

lisa is offline Senior Member

Default aggressive puppy ??

my 6 month old lab can be very aggressive at times. I can pull food and bones away from her, but when she is over excited or having fun and does not want to be removed from fron she can become aggressive. She growls and lunges at me. I find that if i correct her and walk away or put her in time out, she does calm down. I tried the tap on the nose, but it only makes her more aggressive. Some idiot told me a good beating would straighten her out...something i would NEVER, NEVER do. Any suggestion? I have hired a trainer and we are starting to work on correcting this. So far we are trying a stern no while shaking a can w coins. it seems to work most of the time for a short time. Suggestions welcome . Has anyone else had this problem?
    lisa

p.s other than these short bouts of anger, she is a good loveable puppy...smart too

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Are you sure they are bouts of anger, and not just rough play? Bauer used to bark and lunge and us (I don't think he has ever growled) when he was trying to engage us in play. He had 2 very rambunctous times of day (7:00am and 5:00pm), and I made sure he was out walking during those times. After we started on this schedule, he didn't have those crazy times of day.

A mistake I made was too many different types of corrections. He did much better when we stuck with one type of correction. I had a short leash that was always attached to his collar (except when he was in his crate). He got one leash correction, and if the behavior didn't stop, he got a time-out in his crate. He always knew what to expect.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

she has about two of those bouts during the day morning an around supper. I have started taking her for longer walks and that does seem to help. Sometimes it seems like play because it happens when she gets overly excited. Sometimes she seems angry, she has actually put her teeth on my hand, although never biting hard. she is very hard to get a hold of because she lunges and then backs off. I don't remember this behavior from my first lab, but that was 14 years ago. I am going to try the leash thing, time out does seem to work. if she is removed from the situation she calms down.thanks

bauer is so cute

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I think if she was really being aggressive she would have bitten for real. That said, you are correct in trying to get her to stop. And now is the time while she is still young.

Consistency is the key and make sure you continue to hold your ground. I think she'll be fine in the long run! Good luck, and the idiot who said she should get a good beating? I think that person should get the beating and see how well it straigthens him up!

my thoughts exactly. calling him an idiot is being to kind

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Can you describe EXACTLY when this happens? what are you doing, what is she doing.. is she protecting a valued resource (a toy or bone)? or are you trying to take her by the collar, and she is mouthing you as you try to move her?

it happens on different occasions, mostly if she is having fun doing something...usually something she is not suppose to be doing, if i go to grab her collar or if she gets loose and i go to put her leash on her. most of the time it starts out as over excitement, some mouthing . but she can get very mean looking. she lunges, growls and nips. I have tried the yelp and she gets worse, i find removing her from the situation (putting her in another room)seems to work best, but am i teaching her anything that way? i have never experienced this w a lab before...well not to this degree.. i would love suggestions. she is not a mean dog. i can pull food and bones away w no proble
    Last edited by lisa; 07-02-2009 at 09:23 PM.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Lots of dogs resent the collar grab, and will protest with the only means they have - growling and mouthing. So, two things to work on: 1)leave a drag line on (a 5-6 foot leash, you can cut the hand-loop to prevent snagging, and leave it on only under supervision) so that you have a 'remote handle' to control her; and 2)start teaching her that collar grabs are the BEST thing in the world.

Start with a high-value treat in one hand, with the other, touch the collar lightly, then give treat. Work up to longer, more abrupt, and more vigourous collar tugs, always pairing them with a treat she loves. (I would also recommend that you do the same process with handling paws, ears and muzzle, etc - many collar-sensitive dogs are also not fond of people handling elsewhere either..)

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'm a little concerned that your trainer is using the 'coins in a can' trick. IMO - kind of junk food dog training. I have seen some dogs made noise shy by use of this method of aversion.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

sarah is offline Senior Member

I agree with Sharon, I don't like the coins in the can trick.

Do you have accessability to an obedience school? I have seen alot of dogs come through our obedience school with similar issues to your lab and the voluntary trainers help them alot with all these behavourial questions.

I would definitely take the advise from Kaytris and work through handling of your lab in a positive manner.

The way we worked with Milly when she was younger and had ahold of something she shouldn't was by trade off. I would find something of higher value than the object she shouldn't have had and simply re-directed her interest to that. Squeaky toys for us worked best cause she has ALWAYS loved squeaky toys. I also think you should start trying to teach your lab 'give' and 'leave it' .... you should never need to yank your dog by the collar away from something you don't want it to have. "leave it" can be much more effective, the dog also realises what you want from them when you say 'leave it' - yanking a dog by it's collar away from something can surprise and shock them.

I think I'd nip at you if you did it to me lol...
    Last edited by sarah; 07-02-2009 at 11:17 PM.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast