hyper Labs - when do they calm down?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hyper Labs - when do they calm down?

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Default hyper Labs - when do they calm down?

I took Buddy to daycare Friday and they had several other dogs there. Finally, a chance for him to play and get rid of some of his energy!

When I picked him up I asked the girl how he did. She said he was just onstop all day long, running, jumping, and playing. A couple of the other dogs took exception to him because he was so hyper and kept wanting to play. :-[ When I got him home, we thought he'd quiet down and sleep - but he was more hyper than I've seen him since we got him! :-\ Does this kind of thing stop as they age? He's about a year old now, as close as we can guess.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

ShadowDancin is offline Senior Member

Default Re: hyper Labs - when do they calm down?

I dont know when they calm down, but if you figure it out let me know..Breed is still crazy and she is 3

Dani is offline Senior Member

Rider started to mellow at 2.5....he's still hyper...but will calm down when you ask him to.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

GraphiteEvo9 Guest

I'm willing to bet that some labs never calm down. I take murphy to day care sometimes and they tell me he plays all day, but he is usaually pretty tired after. I take him for a walk, and then play with him in the yard for a while until I get tired and he still doesnt calm down. he is 9 months now and I still put him in his crate most of the time because he will just keep me up walking around and sniffing everything over and over. I am so used to his energy level now that I cant imagine what if would be like if he slowed down. Some people say they calm down after about a year old, some tell me after a few years. Probably depends on the lab.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Depends on the dog.

Dryf never really calmed down. his body is much less capable as time goes by but his brain is still hyper (he can never settle down and still begs to fetch, and will run as fast as his legs can go, even at 14 - so my dad and I have to work extra hard to ensure he does NOT run and fetch because it hurts his body!! walks are all he should do!). if you get up he's standing and waiting for attention. If you pet him he is pushing yoru hand with his nose to ensure you don't stop (and if you stop - beware!).

Meanwhile Rocky is sitting back not moving until you call him and get him up for exercise and he's 3!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

+ Reply to Thread