Doesn't want to go in his crate anymore
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Doesn't want to go in his crate anymore

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Default Doesn't want to go in his crate anymore

So basically in the last few days Buck has absolutely refused to go in his crate.

He is staying with my parents for a few weeks due to me being in and out of town. The first week went by uneventfully but for the last couple days...he apparently has refused to go into his crate. No amount of coaxing and bribing on my parents part is changing his mind.

Before he would go in on his own as soon as she'd see them pick up their car keys and stuff in the morning. This is something he did when he was living with me too.

But now he won't go in. He won't sleep in there at night either. Mom changed his bedding. Cleaned out the crate thoroughly twice even though it didn't need it. Checked in and around the crate for anything unusual...she found nothing.

What could be wrong? Do you think he is just "growing up". He is 17 months old.

Any ideas?? He is eating drinking pooping just fine.

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Doesn't want to go in his crate anymore

Maybe he misses you and it's unfamiliar because you aren't around?

That's all I've got...
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

my guess is something scary happened to him in his crate.
    years ago, one day i came home from work, and there was a wasp flying around in the room where luke's crate was kept. if that wasp had gone flying into or near luke's wire crate, there would have been very little that he could've done to get away from the wasp. scary, huh? turned out we had a wasp nest inside the house and the wasp had come through the air vent.

try re-training buck to see the crate as a positive, fun place again. lots of rewards and praise. keep it light and happy.

editied to add:

or on the flipside, something really fantastic happened to him while he was out of his crate, and he made that random connection in his mind, so he doesn't want to be crated anymore. ;D

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

hmm I was wondering if it had to do with him missing me...but he was fine for a whole week...

Yeah I was wondering if something like the wasp incident happened to him.

Since I am not there with him right now...I did tell my parents to go back to training him...feeding meals in his crate and stuff.
    Mom said she tossed in a big piece of chicken in there last night and he still didn't go in. *sigh* it was in the crate even this morning when they woke up and went downstairs.

Miss him so much...just another week and half and he will be back with me! ;D

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Not sure what to tell you, leaving a piece of chicken overnight is pretty un-lab-like, even if the crate isn't a good place anymore for whatever reason. Poor Bucky. Maybe when he gets back home with you, whatever it was will stop bothering him.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

try moving the crate to a new location?

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Hi Swati! Hope you and the new job are well--haven't seen you around these parts much lately.

It's hard to know what's going on based on what you're saying. I know that Theo is much less inclined to go in his crate during the summer because it's too warm with the bedding (he also doesn't want to sleep with us--he likes the kitchen floor).

If he has developed a negative association with the crate, I would hide treats in it at various (random) points throughout the day. Don't draw attention to them. Just let him find them. Also make sure there is a treat for him when it's time for bed. Consider putting a fan on it or taking out any bedding if he's too warm. We did this with Theo, and within a few days he was happily trotting into the crate, eagerly waiting for bedtime.

+ Reply to Thread