Just Labradors banner

what to expect after neutering?

12K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  CenTexLabs 
#1 ·
well my boy is going in tomorrow .... how pronounced are changes that I would see (if any?) behavior wise...

how long before they are back to 'normal' as far as being able/wanting to play ....

Thanks!

Also, thanks for the discussion a few weeks ago about bringing your dog home the day of surgery. Turns out my vet normally keeps them overnight, but they don't have anyone in the office from 5:30PM till 7:30 the next morning!!(??) so i told them I want to bring mine home to be able to watch/comfort him, and they said yes.

#2 ·
Changes behavior wise? he will hump less and be less sexually oriented generally but that is about it.

I think you have to wait 10 days until the stitches are removed. So 10 days of leash walking and strictly no playing or rough activity.

I would not be happy about keeping my dog at the vets overnight. Glad they said you could take him home.

#4 ·
Trickster said:
Changes behavior wise? he will hump less and be less sexually oriented generally but that is about it.

I think you have to wait 10 days until the stitches are removed. So 10 days of leash walking and strictly no playing or rough activity.

I would not be happy about keeping my dog at the vets overnight. Glad they said you could take him home.
I hope i see alittle less agressiveness, but that may be him trying to stake some turf in the house right now..

10 days!?!! oh wow. i dunno how i'll keep him calm for 10 days. this sounds like its gonna be a nightmare! :eek:

#6 ·
Emma was done about 2 months ago... She did stay overnight and I was kind of glad but there was someone there with her all night.

By Day 3 she was 100% back to her normal self. The Rimadyl kept her quiet for the first day or two but day three she was ready to go and we had to consciously limit her. No off leash walks for 10 days, no swimming or getting wet. She did not have stitches either.

Good luck! Also, dont be surprised if their appetite is off the first day.

#7 ·
I was surprised. I actually didn't think I would see much of a change, but did notice a change in his behavior within two weeks.
For instance, he was less restless at home, began playing less aggressively, and during walks has been less inclined to investigate every other dog he hears or sees. He definitely calmed down quite a bit.

#8 ·
we are at day 8

Day One: Picked Morgan up at the vet. he could hardly stand, was wobbly on his legs, wanted nothing other then to be sooked and to sleep. he did not want food and what he did eat later in the evening upset his stomach that night. Dreadful gas :)

Day Two: Slight appearances of normal Morgan. Feeling more steady on his legs. Wanted his food and was able to keep it down although loose stool and bad gas. Also slept a lot of that day.

Day Three: A little more normal Morgan. Chewed up a plastic cup I had left out.

Day Four: Chewed up a slipper. Greeted me at the door with wiggly butt and butt tucked around house. Went for a short on leash walk. Not as much marking nor investigating although whined and got excited when other dogs approached. Devoured food with normal hoverishness.

Day Five: Slipper completely destroyed. Butt tucking is back. A little more marking on trail during walk.

Day Six: Typical Morgan. Marking whenever given the chance. Oh, two pairs of underwear destroyed. Have to remind him that jumping up on dad is a big no no

Day Seven: Walk along beach...gotta stop him from eating everything in sight. Have to pull him away from water. Plays well with other dog buddies although I get him and leave when I see them getting really rambunctious.

Day Eight: tell you tomorrow

So, do I think I will see any change in behaviour?? Doubt it very much. I am kinda hoping less marking, less dominance when other dogs show him dominance and if nothing else, he will not be sending out those dominance pheromones which cause him to be attacked every now and again. No change in personality though that I can see.

#9 ·
Re: we are at day 8

rockwater said:
Day One: Picked Morgan up at the vet. he could hardly stand, was wobbly on his legs, wanted nothing other then to be sooked and to sleep. he did not want food and what he did eat later in the evening upset his stomach that night. Dreadful gas :)

Day Two: Slight appearances of normal Morgan. Feeling more steady on his legs. Wanted his food and was able to keep it down although loose stool and bad gas. Also slept a lot of that day.

Day Four: Chewed up a slipper. Greeted me at the door with wiggly butt and butt tucked around house. Went for a short on leash walk. Not as much marking nor investigating although whined and got excited when other dogs approached. Devoured food with normal hoverishness.

Day Five: Slipper completely destroyed. Butt tucking is back. A little more marking on trail during walk.

Day Six: Typical Morgan. Marking whenever given the chance. Oh, two pairs of underwear destroyed. Have to remind him that jumping up on dad is a big no no

Day Seven: Walk along beach...gotta stop him from eating everything in sight. Have to pull him away from water. Plays well with other dog buddies although I get him and leave when I see them getting really rambunctious.

So, do I think I will see any change in behaviour?? Doubt it very much. I am kinda hoping less marking, less dominance when other dogs show him dominance and if nothing else, he will not be sending out those dominance pheromones which cause him to be attacked every now and again. No change in personality though that I can see.
Lol, how old is he?

#10 ·
I had Tal neutered at 7 months (he's now 10 months) and I noticed hardly any change in his behavior. Really didn't have any issues to speak of so I bet it's individual. The only thing I did notice was that he is a little more affectionate, and that not much, than before but that's about it.

On the physical side, good for you for insisting to bring him home that day. I have the same situation with my vet and I wouldn't leave him overnight with no supervision. So I brought him home that day as well. They did not give any, nor did he need any pain medication. He also didn't need that lampshade thingy to keep from licking himself. The vet just told me to watch him closely and anything more than just an occasional liks then we would need to put the lamshade om him.

When i picked him up, he was alot more alert than I expected him to be. Once in the car, he dozed off. He would cry a bit once home because of how the anesthesia made hm feel. He would almost fall asleep standing up and I was afraid he would hurt himself.

By the next day he was close to his normal self and the third day he was back to speed. I had to keep him calm for 7 days also before I could let him go full bore. The sutures were somehow sewn inside and he had the kind that melted so removal wasn't necessary.

While he was recuperating I made up some low intensity games we could play inside and that kept him entertained enough that it went a whole lot better than I expected. Just use your imagination and it'll be good. I also used that time for some pretty intense (mentally) training sessions. That helped alot too! Good luck. He'll be just fine. And holding a good thought and a prayer for ya!

#11 ·
thanks for the good thoughts.

we are about to go to the park where he gets to run offleash and splash in the stream and usually bump into other dogs offleash, i'd like to give him a really fun night tonight, since it will be his last for awhile!!

#12 ·
Re: we are at day 8

twitch said:
rockwater said:

Lol, how old is he?
Morgan is 17 months now

#15 ·
CenTexLabs said:
I will be there in a week. I feel for you. Just remember, it is for the best. They only thing they know is that they are there to have fun, and will take a short nap in between the excitement.
I hope... he loves going to the vet so far. well ...he likes going anywhere and getting to meet people! it gets him so excited.

I hope he doesn't change his attitude about going to the vet in the future....

#17 ·
My vet always tells people that while neutering may lessen issues, it will never 'fix' them. Ie, if you're having aggression issues, it may make them less severe, but it's not a magic pill.

Mav's neutering was a piece of cake. I don't even remember him needing the pain pills.

Gabby's spay on the other hand....We had complications, after complications...She ended up being on rest for about 25 days.

Both of them still love the vet's office.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.