Bump on head since birth
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bump on head since birth

kidsdogsbirds is offline Junior Member

Default Bump on head since birth

Hi, Im new here We got our lab at about 8 weeks old. He has an appt with the vet coming up, but I am wondering....

He has a bump on his head. Not a 'oops, I walked into something' lump, but a bump or rounded peak on the back part of the top of his head. Is this normal? What could it be? I have seen others post that their labs have it too. Does it decrease in size as the dog grows?

Also, can anyone tell me how to be sure if this is a 'field lab' or a 'regular' lab? I'm sure that's not the right term....

Sheri

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Bump on head since birth

Welcome to JL. One of my labs, Maxie,had a lump or bump on her head her entire life. It wasn't huge or really visible, but you could feel it was there. She live to the grand age of 13 years. Since you have a vet appt., you could ask then. Once again welcome.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Scout and friends Guest

Scout has that bump. Exactly as you describe. It's never gone away or decreased in size, and she's 3 years old.

I'll let others more educated than me answer your second question.

Judith

edited to add - Welcome!

imported_Dukesdad is offline Senior Member

That bump is normal. I always say it's Duke's pea brain when he does something silly.
    Your "Regular" Lab is more commonly called a show or bench Lab. They are bred to meet the breed standard as established by the Labrador Association. This standard is used by judges in dog shows to evaluate each dog according to the standard.
    Field Labs are bred to produce more speed for field trials. They are generally taller and longer legged. Some people say the field Lab is more hyper but I have one that is a lifetime devoted couch potato.
    Lab breeding today is so out of control due to their popularity that an untold number of backyard breeders are producing Labs with severe medical problems and genetic conditions. Please do not ask about breeding your Lab. ;D
    I am sure others will fill you in with more technical information.
    <br />Duke and Freckles

Hunter is offline Senior Member

My Duke has a bump on his head, one of the many reasons his nickname is Pin Head. Really nothing to worry about, most likely it is just the shape of his skull.

A Field Lab will have longer legs with a thinner frame. Bench Lab will have more of a block head, little bit shorter.

Post a pic of your boy!

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

"rounded peak" is a great description of it. My Aly has it. She is the smartest of the bunch, so I think maybe that is where she stores her extra brain cells. ;D
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

labby is offline Senior Member

Its called the occiput and is normal. Some dogs have larger occiputs than others.
    Laura

therapydawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Momma to J and A
    "rounded peak" is a great description of it. My Aly has it. She is the smartest of the bunch, so I think maybe that is where she stores her extra brain cells. ;D

That's funny...I have heard of this referred to as a "knowledge hump"...the bigger the hump the smarter the dog? I don't know about that though, my SIL had a golden that had a HUGE occiput and he was not the brightest crayon in the box!

Relax, it is normal! Post some pics of your boy...we would love to see them!
    Glitter Graphics<br /><br />

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Yep, occiput. Just the shape of the skull. My sister calls it the "antenna." She claims that it's how dogs get their instructions from their alien dog overlords.

liveelayne is offline Senior Member

Aww, Thor has one too!! ;D

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast