Just Labradors banner

Happy and the invisible fence

886 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  imported_LuckyGirl 
#1 ·
I've got one of those expensive electronic invisible fences that you plug in to a room in your house and then set the boundry. It's worked really well...actually a little to well. Lucky is fine with it and she'll test it ever other day to make sure it's still working LOL......Happy on the other hand...... I plugged it in when we moved in and let them out after testing the boundries and all with the collars to make sure the perimiter is what I wanted.....what I didn't notice was one of the collars was set on the fourth setting of six :-[ and Happy ran down to the new bushes and got shocked pretty good. That was in....october I believe the dog still will not travel far from the house and by far I mean five feet!!! If I have the collar off of him he's fine and runs around and we take walks to the walking trail and they go swimming in the lake near our house. They're both fine with the collars off...they both realize that when the collars are on to stay in bounds. But Happy is terrified to go out in the yard. He never leaves the back porch except to do his business...which is right against the porch and in the front yard right against the house....under my bedroom window.

I've been putting a leash on him and walking him around the yard making sure I don't let the collar beep cause if it does he hightails it back to the house...no shock needed. What else can I do to help him enjoy the yard this summer? I hate not having the collar on when I'm working in the yard or have to go inside for a minute. I live in a neighborhood of ...either dog owners......or people who are terrified of my dogs and Happy loves to greet the kids walking on the sidewalk which terrifies their mothers for some reason :-[

What are my options? My dogs gotten fat this winter too and we need to work off that girth!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
I never took them down they are there....he won't chance it :( He likes to stay as close to the house as possible so he doesn't get any exercise...and I should correct myself he's the one that's gained girth...not Lucky that dog runs to much for that. I have to take him to the park to get him to do anything anymore.....Not that I mind going to the park but we can't stay there all day every day...I can get Lucky to fetch in the yard...not Happy....if it goes off the porch forget about it.....he waits for Lucky to run down and get it! ???

#4 ·
Buck was a bit skittish at first too. I used to slowly coax him over towards the edge. Like only take one step into the "scary" area and then wait for him to come to me. I would keep a piece of hotdog in my hand. He would slowly come over for the hotdog and I would praise him and treat him and practically throw a party. I did this for a few days and when I noticed that he would venture into that region comfortably I would increase another step or two and try treating and praising. Now he is comfortable. It took some time. But that's how we were able to fix the issue.

Hope this helps!

#5 ·
What kind of invisible fence do you have? Our property is such that actual fencing is cost prohibitive and we were thinking this might be an alternative - don't plan on leaving the dogs out there unattended just would like to be able to work in the yard and not spend the whole time calling them back or chasing them when they leave the yard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.