Labs and Cats...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Labs and Cats...

TinasZoo is offline Senior Member

Default Labs and Cats...

Hi everybody! I have a question. How were your labs with your cats? What did you do to help them learn to get along? My cats were used to my other 2 Labs that were always pretty mellow. Even as pups. Now Ranger is completely different. He chases them and bites pretty hard. He still bites me pretty hard too at times. He is slowly learning to not bite so hard. I have a few cats that would love to play with him. But, he just gets too rough. He is ALWAYS chasing them. There are plenty of rooms and areas for the cats to get to that Ranger can't. But, of course they are used to being able to go to every room. I do not allow Ranger to chase the cats, although I can't always catch him in time. But, I do catch him in the act most of the time. I do get after him and then praise him when he stops. I also give him toys that he can chew on. Or get him involved in a game of fetch. This is something else that I know will just take consistent training. I do know he is a puppy and it will take time and patience. But, I am just curious what everybody else did. What things worked or didn't work. Thanks and have a great day!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Labs and Cats...

I have three cats. One of my cats loves the dogs, the other two hate them. The dogs respect that cats and leave them alone...I think the dogs are more afraid of them than the other way around.

How are you correcting him for chasing?

TimC. is offline Senior Member

I don't have cats but Oona has been around them. In her case it all depends on the cat's behavior. If the cat stares at her there is going to be a problem. If the cat is indifferent or is relaxed she is very friendly with them and is sweet towards them.
    Olie

Anne is offline Senior Member

In our case, one of our cats came before the labs, the other came after. Each cat has distinctly different relationships with the dogs. One adores them, the other barely tolerates.

I think it is important that you continue to be consistent when you correct Ranger for mouthing the cats. Sure, he is just playing. But, as he gets bigger, the playing could become a bit more dangerous. If you can't get to him every time, try "wearing" him around the house. Put a collar and leash on him, and attach the leash to yourself. This technique is helpful in many ways....from housebreaking to heeling nicely to stopping undesireable behavior (ie, kitty chasing.)

Do your cats have claws? Sometimes, the claws can be the world's best training tools.

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

I let my cat and puppy sort it out for themselves at the recommendation of the vet. The cat is young (3 yrs), athletic, and frankly, a little mean.

They're totally fine now and love to cuddle at night.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

regarese is offline Senior Member

I'm letting mine work it out on their own too. Our cats are 5 year old litter mates so they are a united front in investigating the new puppy. Tramp-the boy cat-is interested but not really doing anything more than sitting on the counter antagonizing Shelby. We know they will be friends, they just have to give in to it. Lady-our snobby girl cat-HATES the dog. LOL. We knew that she would. She doesn't do anything to Shelby-just glares at her and quickly leaves the room, but Shelby already seems to know though, which one will be worth her energy to get to know and which one wants nothing to do with her.

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

We had 4 cats when we got Toby as a puppy. The two younger males were interested, the female was completely uninterested, and the oldest male decided to teach the pup who was boss. I would correct Toby with a stern "no kitty" when he wanted to chase them, but actually, it was Alexander (the oldest cat) who really taught him what he could and couldn't get away with. Toby doesn't seem to have a strong desire to chase cats anyway, he ignores ones we see on our walks, too.

Sadly, I lost Alexander to cancer before we got Chamois. And she is another story entirely - she wants to chase and play with the cats all the time. Again, I'll call her off and scold her if she gets aggressive or tries to bite or pounce on them. I think the female cat would step in and do the same thing Alexander did with Toby, but she was declawed before my BF adopted her 6 years ago, so it's pretty much up to us to teach Chamois manners around the cats. She's learning to be gentle, but it's an ongoing process. I know she wouldn't hurt them deliberately, but I do worry a bit about accidents, so I discourage rough-housing much the same way you do - a correction and substitution to a different game/toy. It probably doesn't help that my orange tabby often initiates the play, he seems to really like Chamois, and they'll lick each other and even cuddle together for naps.

Adorable picture, BTW.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

TinasZoo is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the replys everybody. Ranger is 16 weeks old today. He gets pretty rough with the 2 cats that want to play with him. If the cat initiates the play, I let them work it out until they cry out when I know he is hurting them. He tries and grab them around the neck and that is very bad news. The chasing is the other main thing that I correct him for. I just tell him NO in a very firm voice. Most of the time he will stop and then I praise him. Sometimes I have to tell him to sit before he will stop. Sometimes he ignores me all the way and will go growling barking at the cat and then run butt tucking through the house. There is one old cat (she is almost 16) that doesn't even want him to walk by her now because he is always tormenting her. She claws him and sometimes makes him yelp. (all the cats still have claws) So he avoids her unless she is laying on the chair. Then he will keep nudging her and barking until she gets ticked off and leaves the chair. He is not allowed on the furniture so I know he isn't wanting the chair, but maybe he thinks she shouldn't be on it either. Our one male cat is almost 20 pounds and he HATES Ranger. He doesn't even want to play with him or want him near. But, our yellow cat would love to play. And sometimes he will even start playing with Ranger (like the photo) until Ranger starts biting his neck or leg or tail. Sometimes Ranger tries to tackle them and lay on top of them. The cats really freak out then. I hope they will all eventually get along. I would like to eventually let Ranger stay loose in the house like I did with my girls. But, I won't be able to do that if he can't be trusted with the cats. (I know this is a long ways away yet). I will just keep working on it and see what happens ;D

peanutsdad is offline Senior Member

When Keri and I first moved in Carolann had a large orange Tabby named Bosley. Bosley got along well with all the dogs. But Bosley the male cat had a very strange interaction with Morgan, Carolann's female Esky. Morgan would often jump on Bosley, push him to the floor, and hump him. We referred to it as the love that dare not speak its name. We think that Bosley considered it a form of play. Neither are intact. However, Bosley disappeared over the winter.
    <br />In my house there is no such thing as a five second rule.<br />Our&nbsp; dogs and their humans:<br />Peanut (Yellow Lab) &amp; Ric<br />Seamus (Hanoverian Mix) &amp; Keri<br />Morgan (American Eskimo) &amp; Carolann

Mocha Guest

Well, I had a very bad time when we first brought Maggie home. She ran off our grey kitty for 9 weeks. It was aweful. We have 3 cats and Maggie (the dog) gets along with Blackey because Blackey doesnt run away from her. Blackey just lays around and lets Maggie lick her and when she gets a little rough Blackey just gets out of her way and jumps to a safe spot. Orangey is much younger so she loves to play. Maggie chases her (which I try my best to not allow). They play together alot. After Grey Kitty decided to came back I just make sure she always has a safe escape from Maggie. I would make Maggie get in the down and lay position and then bring grey kitty around and let them get used to each other. It took some time, but they are now friends. Just be consistent in your training. When she chases the cats, just give the no or sit command (or whatever command you use).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast