How long can dogs keep foreign items in their stomachs?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How long can dogs keep foreign items in their stomachs?

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

Default How long can dogs keep foreign items in their stomachs?

Remember back on March 5th I wrote that Jake had eaten an entire suet cake, hard plastic and all. A few days later he threw up but no plastic. Around the 10th he threw up and it has a wad of the plastic in it. I knew there had to be more plastic and I kept checking poop with no luck in finding any plastic. Well this morning he threw up again and it had a golf ball size wad of plastic from the suet cake. How in the world can this stuff stay in his stomach so long without him having any signs of a problem? I feel there must be a few more pieces left unless he has pooped them out. I had stopped checking his poop after a week and when he wasn't having any problems. Just wondering if your labs wait this long to rid their bodies of the foreign stuff?

Brookville, Pa.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Default Re: How long can dogs keep foreign items in their stomachs?

Wow!

Well, I remember once reading (or hearing) about a Boxer who had some sort of ball...or balls...in his stomach. They didn't pass through into the intestines, but just stayed in the stomach. Seems like they were there for over a month.

And since it's plastic, I guess an x-ray wouldn't help you either. I wonder if they could feel anything in the stomach with a manual exam? They felt Angus' Nutri Dent bone that way, but it was on down in the small intestine.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I don't know, maybe your vet can tell. Mitzi once threw up some chunks of bones she ate the day before. It's amazing that they can digest their regular food and the bigger objects just stay in the stomach and come out the next day.

LarrytheLab is offline Senior Member

Yes, we just realized that they can hold things in there for quite awhile. Last weekend we were at my parents' home and took Larry with us to visit with my younger sister's horse. My dad had just finished trimming her hooves and Larry started chewing on some of the clippings (dogs LOVE horse hoof clippings). Well, we got occupied petting and grooming the horse and didn't really pay attention to how many hoof clippings Larry had eaten, but when we inspected the pile, there were quite a few missing. We felt bad and were sure that Larry would be getting sick that night, but he never did. (This was on Saturday)

We thought that maybe the next day (Sunday) he'd feel bad, but he didn't. We then forgot about it until Tuesday, when Katherine returned home from class to find that Larry had vomited all over her bed and floor. She started freaking out because she thought that he had gotten into something in her room, but upon inspection of the vomit, she realized that it was the horse hoof clippings from 4 days prior.

So yeah, they can hold stuff in their tummies for quite awhile with no signs of a problem.
    Doyle and Larry<br /><br />

WeHeartLabs is offline Senior Member

I agree with Connie, maybe the vet could tell upon a physical exam if there is anything left in there.
    They are goats sometimes, I swear. Good luck and I hope Jake's belly is empty now of all foreign materials.
    <br /><br />

We felt bad and were sure that Larry would be getting sick that night, but he never did.
    That what I had thought way back around March 6th! I never expected to see the plastic now. I'm hoping the last of it is out of his stomach.

Brookville, Pa.

eklind51 is offline Senior Member

ginger ate a milk cap at the beginning of september then at the end of november she threw it up! so she had it in her stomach for 2.5 almost 3 months!

Dave_and_Christie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eklind51
    ginger ate a milk cap at the beginning of september then at the end of november she threw it up! so she had it in her stomach for 2.5 almost 3 months!
    WOAH! That's crazy..

Quote Originally Posted by eklind51
    Well I feel better now! This has just been two weeks!

Brookville, Pa.

FLHunter3006 is offline Senior Member

At around 5 months old, ours chewed up about 6" of a leather leash, about 5 days later she threw it up! it wasfolded.... incredible!

+ Reply to Thread