When are labs fully grown?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: When are labs fully grown?

MarlansMum is offline Senior Member

Default When are labs fully grown?

At what age do labs typically stop growing? Mar is 7 months and he seems small at 61lbs. I am wondering if he still has more to grow.

therapydawg is offline Senior Member

Default Re: When are labs fully grown?

I have been told (by breeder and vet) that they should reach their full height by about 1 year and then continue to fill out til they are about 2. That being said, each dog is different (just like people) and their growth rates will be different. I am sure that Mar will be growing some more, but he probably won't be one of those 100lb labs.
    Glitter Graphics<br /><br />

lubmylabs is offline Senior Member

61lbs is within normal range for a properly bred lab. Finley is around 60 and he's 16 months. At 7 months your Mar still has some growing left to do, rule of thumb is 18 months or so you can consider them fully grown, but it does depend on the dog. Some will take longer, some a bit less.

Kimmers is offline Senior Member

Sam is 5 and weighs 87lbs.
    He's from field lines, so he sure doesn't look that heavy-but he's a big boy.
    Kona is 2, and my midget dog. She's very petite. Also from field lines. She weighed 65 lbs last checkup.

Kim & Crew

Beautiful BC, Canada
    JL Member since July 1, 2002

Fear Nothing. Live for Everything.

imported_Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

My pup didn't grow much at all after 7 months, but I'm sure some do. She's still filling out a little and maturing, but weight-wise she maybe gained a few pounds after seven months. 61 pounds is well within normal weight and right about the same as my dog.

I love your pups color.

summerluv is offline Senior Member

Summer is 2 and she is 74lbs. and she is done her growing and filling out. She reached that weight by a year and a half now we just have to maintain it
    [center]<br />Proud mommy to Summer! 3 y/o yellow lab

gerst001 is offline Senior Member

7 months and 61 lbs sounds completely normal and not small...like others have mentioned all are different, but on average he will probably continue to grow, weight and height for the the next 3-6 months, but at a slower rate. After a year (give or take) he may start to fill out a bit, but again slowly over a few months. Again, all are different. Mine grew to 61 lbs by 10 months and has not grown a pound since. He is now 12 months - maybe he filled out a little, but if so, not much at all.

RUGERSMOM is offline Senior Member

I have also heard that they may not completely fill out until they are 3yrs. I'm no expert, just what I have read elsewhere and I'm sure every lab may be a little different. Ruger is now 18 months and weighs 86lbs. To me he is the perfect size for his frame and what his parents looked like and what his pedegree is. I think your pup still has some growing to do so don't be surprised if he grows a little more.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Zoe is 4 and her weight fluctuates between 65 and 68 pounds.
    This is the weight she was at 18 months.

I think her heaviest was 72 when she was younger than 18 mo because of all the treats she received in training.
    Linda and Zo, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

+ Reply to Thread