Male or Female Labrador... - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Male or Female Labrador...

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Male or Female Labrador...

This topic has come up many times in my 5+ years life of this forum.

The accumulated edge has definitely been that (in general) males are more cuddly and of the "love you, love you..." persuasion while females are of the "love me, love me..." although there are also personality differences.

I've had 2 Labs. My first, an AKC bench line BF, loved EVERYone and was insatiable in her desire to be petted by someone, ANYone.

My next (present) Lab <YF, AKC field line> is definitely in the vein of "when I want it." There are those times when she wants to be cuddled or petted BUT not outside of those times.

For me, that was not a factor. I wanted a small Lab and females run smaller.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

marciabee is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaLabLover
    A breeder friend of mine described the boy-vs-girl thing the best to me, I think. She said, "A female lab will come up to you and say 'love me, love me, love me.' A male lab will come up to you and say 'love you, love you, love you.' " It certainly holds true in this household. ;D
    CaliforniaLabLover has just described my two dogs perfectly.

Kasey is the star of the show, as far as she is concerned. The mailman? Stops to see her. FedEx? The driver is there to see her. She insists that you love HER.

Spartacus loves me. In his eyes, it's all about me. Whatever I am doing at the moment is the most important thing ever.

Having said that, if I were searching for a new up right now, I'd go with personality first.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

As with everything, it depends on the dog. I prefer males. I find females to be more aloof and independent. However, my old Springer bitch wiped that generalization right out of the water so nobody can say for sure which is the "better" sex.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I honestly have a better rapport with females when it comes to training for dog sports. Males I have butted heads with in the past. I have not owned many, but I find they have better things to think about. Even the neutered ones.
    The girls have been a bit more serious for me, at times stubborn. But I just do better with them.

But with a pet in general, honestly, I feel a Lab is a Lab and you can't loose no matter what you pick. I certainly would take a male pet (neutered) any day!
    Kim

DebraV7419 is offline Senior Member

This was one of my first questions when I joined JL in the spring of '06. We went with a male when I read that "generally" they were more apt to want to be close to you. I am posting a pic of Mellow that I had taken the day before. He cracks me up because if I am at the kitchen table this is where he sleeps. If I have my legs crossed he will try and go under my leg (trying to get closer to me) which then pushes my leg up into the table. I have bruises just below my knee.

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mollyrock
    My next Lab I would like a big goofy male.
    That would be my Hoss. He's sucha big lug. Grunts, groans and moans, and oh, those eyes. He just melts my heart! He's a very "soft" dog temperament wise. Even just a slight correction in training can shut him down.

My two girls, Belle and Kodi, you could (figuratively speaking) smack them up the side of the head with a two by four and they'd grab it out of your hand, chew it up, spit it out and say "What next!"

Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

I can also only talk about my 2 dogs and these are the only labs I've ever had. Our 3yr old is a male and we got a male because it was harder to get females. The females seem to go first and at that time we really didn't know enough about breeders and what to look for. So we have Moose, who is definatley both my SU and my heart dog. There is something about him that we are just so in love with. He sleeps at the foot of our bed every night and always engages us for play in the evenings. He isn't a snuggler per se, but he adores people over dogs any day. Moose was pottied trained at 11 weeks, never marked in the house and never lifts his leg.

CaliforniaLabLover - how in the heck to you ever teach them to pee on command? Moose has his special pee spots on our walk. It always amazes me how much pee he has in him for our walks.

Sky we got when Moose was about a year old. They are 8mths apart. Sky loves Moose so much, she tries to engage with him for play. It is kind of sad sometimes when Moose will ignore her because he wants to play with me or my SU. She tries so hard to get into the play which she eventually does, but rarely does Moose engage with her. She is a cuddler sort of. She will lay on the couch or chair next to us, but she doesn't snuggle. She is a great dog, she is sweet, playful, well behaved. She isn't as enamored with other people as Moose is. She will tend to shy away - she rarely seeks out human attention from strangers like Moose will. Sky has great lineage and came from a good breeder and I do believe that is why she has such a great temperment.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dakkerdog
    CaliforniaLabLover - how in the heck to you ever teach them to pee on command?
    I guess like basically anyone would do starting as puppies and potty-training. We let them out as puppies, immediately telling them to "Get busy!" and praising them like they just pooped/peed gold nuggets when they went. They started to associate that "Get busy" command with peeing/pooping or both. It works well at shows, too, since they spend a lot of time in their crates...I take them out, and they squat/lift leg and pee when I tell them to "Get busy."

On walks, I simply don't let them stop and give them an "eh-eh!" (possibly with a light collar correction) if they try to stop (knowing full well that I just had them go before we left the house). I mean, after all, they (my dogs specifically) aren't allowed to pee/poop in the obedience ring when competing...why should they do so when on a walk? Heck, even "working" dogs aren't allowed to just pee/poop whenever/whereever. I have a special potty area for them at home and I make sure everyone goes both before we leave and right when we get home. Occasionally, when I see prime "potty" areas, I will tell them "Okay!" and loosen up the lead to allow them to go, then tell them "Get busy" if all they want to do is sniff. It certainly seems to work!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Welcome

I really think it's just personalities. Some people seem to think that males are more affectionate than females. Like you (but reversed), I have only had males, so I have nothing to compare to.

I would say it would be best to find a good breeder and let them pick one for you based on what you are looking for. They will know individual pup's tendencies and help you get one that's just the type you want.

Also, I'm very sorry to hear about losing your Lab in November.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

My two girls, Belle and Kodi, you could (figuratively speaking) smack them up the side of the head with a two by four and they'd grab it out of your hand, chew it up, spit it out and say "What next!"
    That really cracked me up!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast