Benadryl for Labs?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Benadryl for Labs?

PottersPeeps is offline Senior Member

Default Benadryl for Labs?

So it turns out that this year Potter has been seriously affected by what my vet thinks are seasonal allergies. He got an awful rash and scratched himself silly before we realized that's what it was. After an initial antibiotic to clear up his rash, the vet wanted me to try just giving him Benadryl to see if that would be effective enough without further medical intervention. This morning was the first time I gave it to him and it did seem to work...at first. But it has clearly worn off.

So, here's my question: do any of you all know how many times a day I can give him Benadryl? The vet told me I can give him 1 25mg tablet for 25lbs (Potter weighs 80lbs), but to start with 2 tablets initially. But he didn't say if I need to give him 2 more tablets 6 hours later or what. Should I just give him 3 tablets to start or give him 2 tablets every 12 hours or so?

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

The Potter Rotter, loved by David & Catherine,
    feared by squirrels everywhere

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

I have a lab who is suffering from seasonal allergies badly this spring - she's getting benedryl twice a day everyday, sometimes a third dose is required, but I usually put some benedryl cream on her itchy spots too.

I feel so bad for her this year - it's the worst I've ever seen her. We've done a food switch too to see if that will help at all.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

The Benadryl doseage I have written down is 50-75 mg (or 1 mg per pound of body weight) 3 times a day. My vet's opinion, tho, is that it really isn't cost effective for a dog the size of a Lab. Oh, and an FYI- I read on another dog board that when it could take a couple of weeks before it really kicks in for seasonal allergies.

ETA-
    Quote Originally Posted by TangerineFizz View Post
    I have a lab who is suffering from seasonal allergies badly this spring - she's getting benedryl twice a day everyday, sometimes a third dose is required, but I usually put some benedryl cream on her itchy spots too.

I feel so bad for her this year - it's the worst I've ever seen her. We've done a food switch too to see if that will help at all.
    I've used the cream and spray on itchy spots, too. They both seem to give Caleb some relief. Also, with season allergies, it helps some to rinse/wipe the coats off. A good old play session with the hose works wonders! Not only does it soothe the skin by cooling it, it also rinses the pollen off the coat.

Also, building up the skin by adding things like fish oil capsules might help (a good defense is a healthy skin). Besides the fish oil, I give Caleb vitamin B complex, and, for the past couple of weeks, about 1/2 cup of blueberries a day and vitamin C twice a day. I just realized yesterday he hasn't been chewing and scratching as much this past weekend.
    Last edited by MicksMom; 05-04-2009 at 08:46 PM.

labby is offline Senior Member

It's usually twice a day, morning and evening. It's usually three times a day for something acute like a bee sting, bug bite reaction.

It won't hurt to give it twice a day until you can call your vet and double check what they want you to do. Know though, that while most dogs kinda get zonked out on it, some dogs do get the opposite effect; they get hyper.
    Laura

PottersPeeps is offline Senior Member

Thanks, everyone. Very helpful! Potter definitely falls on the sleepy-side-effects, which I'd why I'd like to stick to giving him just 2 pills at a time rather than 2. We've already got the fish out capsules, but this:

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
    Also, with season allergies, it helps some to rinse/wipe the coats off. A good old play session with the hose works wonders! Not only does it soothe the skin by cooling it, it also rinses the pollen off the coat.
    sounds like a great idea, especially because the pollen is so bad here right now. Hopefully all of this will help and he can get back to chasing squirrels

The Potter Rotter, loved by David & Catherine,
    feared by squirrels everywhere

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Don't despair if the benadryl doesn't help either - there are lots of antihistamines you can try with dogs (Claritin, Zyrtec, etc.). Jake takes 3 benadryl BID when he's super itchy, but it really just zonks him out so he sleeps instead of itching

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

My vet just put Ben on 3 benedryl twice a day (he's 80 lbs.) luckily no side effects what's so ever but it took about 3 days for all the itching to stop. He's going to get allergy tested as he's only 10 months old and we're going to try to avoid the allergen if possible.

fanny&eddiesmom is offline Senior Member

Eddie has skin allergies. I have had him on Benedryl, one twice a day, and it never worked, neither did the other brand I tried!

He hates to play in water - it is only for drinking - I have him on fish oil pills, as natural a diet as possible, he gets maybe 2 biscuits a day. The only thing I think will cure him is putting in a new heating system in my house.

A room humidifier didn't work either. We are thinking about putting in a whole house humidifier, which benefit us all, but until the economy improves that isn't going to happen.

To soothe him, I have a spray that I use, he hates it, but he does stop itching for a while.

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

My mom was giving it to her dog 2x a day. I think she (the dawg) has seasonal allergies.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

Last time Cooper had some allergies going on (excessive itching) we were giving him one at 7:00 am and again at 7:00 pm.

+ Reply to Thread