Licking, eating grass, throwing up...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Licking, eating grass, throwing up...

justine is offline Senior Member

Default Licking, eating grass, throwing up...

Okay so Abbey did this to me before.. a couple of times. She starts licking the carpet like mad, then goes outside to eat a ton of grass and throws up. The last time it happened it was for maybe a 5-10 minute period and it was over. She just drank a lot of water and was done with it.

I was freaking out the first time thinking it was bloat, rushed to the e-vet just to find out that it's an "upset stomach" or something like that.

Now last night, she started licking and putting her head forward a little bit, like she had to throw up. Then she drank some water and started licking the carpet and trying to eat it. Took her outside and she ate a TON of grass. Came back inside and she threw it up. Repeat the carpet licking/water. Go outside, eat grass, throw up huge amount. Then she was fine, we went to bed and then this morning she threw up more grass.

I'm not sure what's going on with her. I don't think she could have gotten in to anything and it's not food/stress related.

Any ideas? I think I'm going to make another vet appt and see what they think.. not the e-vet, just my normal vet.

dweck is offline Senior Member

Is it possible that the grass she's eating has been treated w/weed killer or some other chemical?

As to the carpet-licking... I'm stumped.

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I don't think the behavior is uncommon. I have had dogs that do the same thing, some trying to eat the carpet, then out for the grass before puking. I have read theories that the dog does this when it tummy is upset, and that eating the grass is what upsets it tummy. Either way, my experience is that HK shows signs of discomfort, usually enough for me to take her outside, she then goes after the grass and then pukes. It seems to be over as soon as she throws up.

I think the question is to try to figure out what is upsetting their stomachs.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

I don't think they treat the grass here at my apartment complex.. I think they just cut it.. but I'm going to check into that.

I think her stomach was upset before she ate the grass, though. I just don't know why.

I tried looking some things up and found this, which sounds exactly like what she's experiencing.

http://www.geocities.com/aladarbeagles/beaglecolic.html

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Oh please...check with your vet about this. We just lost our chessie to this very thing. He started just that way and progressed to eating all sorts of things. He started at a year old. After years of pepcid, antiseizure drugs, anxiety wraps etc. our new vet diagnosed him with obsessive compulsive disorder and he was put on prozac. It worked well for a year and then it came back. We were in the process of researching a different drug for him when this happened. I thought maybe we were prolonging the episodes (they'd last 2-6 hours in the wintertime but if he had grass to eat only about an hour) by giving him so much attention during it so we decided to try to sleep through it. (By now he was 11, he hadn't eaten much but hair and dirt for 8 years, was only having them at bedtime and we were becoming badly sleep deprived). We got away with it for two episodes but during the third he ate everything but the kitchen sink...and then...the only symptom he showed was not wanting to eat. No vomiting, no sore belly, no temp...nothing! Because of this we (us and the vet) wasted the precious time we needed to save him. He had exploratory surgery where they removed the gloves, socks, q-tips, plastic bowl etc. and then his intestines were apparently more damaged than they looked and they had to go back in and remove 4 inches of intestines....by then he just didn't seem to have the will to fight it off. But even with a peritonitis he never showed a fever. My vet feels horrible....I feel like I killed him.

I suspect that if we had got him on the prozac when he was younger it may never have gotten as bad as it was. Please...check with your vet about this possibility.

Wow.. that's scary. She seems fine now and has eaten and drank and gone to the bathroom fine.. but I'm definitely going to make an appt with the vet. This is the third time it's happened in the past few months and I can't nail down anything that could have caused it exactly.

SweetAtticus is offline Junior Member

Default 4 Year Old Lab Mix Having Similar Episodes

Hi,

My 4 year old lab mix, Atticus, started doing this just this month. She did it once 3 weeks ago, and now has done it 3 times this week. She starts by licking/gulping, licking the carpet like a vacuum cleaner, trying to eat anything she can, gobbles up grass if we take her outside. She also gets very itchy. They were lasting for 2 hours, almost on the dot, but tonight she had a very mild episode, never threw up like she usually does and calmed down within 30 minutes.

We took her to the vet yesterday, who thought from looking at the video I had taken of her doing it that she was having seizures, but because she throws up, wants to eat grass, gets verrrrrry gassy, (we took her to the ER vet the first time it happened and the x-ray showed her bowels and colon were extremely distended with gas) that it must be GI...so we're treating that first. But I'm pretty discouraged from reading all of the posts that I have read on this...

We've got her on probiotics, a powder packet on her Nature's Recipe Easy-to-Digest, and started her on a daily antihistamine, too.

We're just keeping the floor very cleaned up and keeping her in certain rooms, etc. in case it happens while she's alone, but she seems much calmer as they happen, maybe she's getting used to them?

Anyway...I guess we will try switching her food next time again, I read that one owner had luck with switching their dog to a non-chicken and grain-free diet.

Also should note that we did just move so she has had a lot of changes in the last couple of months so it could also be anxiety/panic attacks.

If anyone else has any ideas, pass 'em on down!

Thanks,
    Atticus' Sad Mama

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Erns used to do this and could never work it out. I know now if I see him do it he has a sore gut. He will also air lick which is common for upset gut.I can also hear his gut rumbling if I put my ear to his side and know for sure then it is upset gut.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Wow this is an old thread! Abbey still does this once in a while - I've come to the conclusion that she just has an upset tummy, because once she throws up, she is fine. It doesn't seem to coincide with being in any certain location, eating a certain food, etc.

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

My rottweiler does this very thing when he eats too fast.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast