adopting a 8 year old or not
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: adopting a 8 year old or not

booboo Guest

Default adopting a 8 year old or not

Hi guys, its been forever since I have been on. We have an oppurtunity to adopt a black female lab 8 years old. Heres the sad story. This family got this dog at the age of 6 weeks of age. The kids grew up and out of the house and the parents got a divorce. The dog is living with the mom and I was told she is not a animal person and doesn't give the dog the love and time she deserves. I have tried to ask questions and they told me that the dog is pretty active for her age, doesn't bark except when people/strangers come to the house, doesn't dig or chew. Okay got that info now for my questions & fears to you lab lovers, I don't know why but I am nervous about adopting an older dog like this one. I have a 19 month old yellow lab, Boomer, who has been the only dog since day one. He tends to get jealous when another dog comes over to play and when I mean jealous he doesn't bite or growl, he just puts his body between me and the other dog like saying "she is mine you can get near her". I didn't know if getting a younger dog andintroducing her to Boomer would be better then getting an older dog. My fear is that Boomer is VERY playful and would want to play all the time with the older dog. Would the older dog be grummpy and nippy with Boomer or be tolerant with him. I can have them meet but that would only show the first meeting and that could go well or bad. Once I bring her home I am afraid he will be different saying this is my home and my family, not being mean but protective. Also what would this do to the poor 8 year old going to a different home, she would be sad and confused. So you see I am very confuse myself here and want to do the right thing. We have the chance to see and meet her today so need help fast, thanks so much.

LarrytheLabs Mom is offline Senior Member

Default Re: adopting a 8 year old or not

I'm not super experienced but here's what I would do....

I would go see and meet her today, and take Boomer if possible.

If that works out, I'd try maybe taking the dog to your home for a trial period. Give her a couple of weeks to settle in and see how Boomer adjusts. It may take time, but most dogs like the company since they're pack animals. I think the important thing to keep in mind here is that it WILL take a couple of weeks/months for each dog to adjust.

Not sure what else to say or suggest, but good luck!!

Katherine<br />Charleston, SC<br />

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Just now seeing this; you've prolly gone to meet her. I hope things work out!

WeHeartLabs is offline Senior Member

I think you will know instantly, when you meet her, whether or not she will "fit" with you and your family. I hope she does!!! GOOD LUCK!
    <br /><br />

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Well, I'm probably too late to be of any help but 8 years old is still a pretty spry age! Your youngster might just bring out some excellent activity the 8 year old hasn't had in quite a while.

Let us know.

Seamus and Flynn

booboo Guest

okay we're back. She is somewhat overweight and she has quite a few large tumors on her. She seem active and ran around with her ball. She also kept going into the swimming pool that she loves which we don't have. Kept shaking her head as if her ears bothered her from the water getting in. Her legs seem kinda stiff probably from arthristis and from the excess weight on her. She did have a sweet personality and kept going to her master. The lady told us that she wouldn't give her dog to the pound if she can't find anybody to take her, but she doesn't know what to do if she decided to move into an apartment. I felt like saying then why not try to keep her, the dog obvisiously LOVES her master and it would be so sad to take the dog away from her. We are thinking and praying about this situation.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the update. Tough call for everybody, isn't it.

Seamus and Flynn

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Not sure what to tell you.

Don't let overweight, tumors, or head shaking be the deciding factor(s). Judge her for her personality, and how well you think she would fit with your family. The other stuff can be dealt with later.

As far as the "body blocking," I've got one that does that too. But it's the second dog, Simon, who has claimed me as his own. : He tends to position himself squarely in front of me so Angus can't squeeze in. I have to admit, this really irritates me. I am working on it.

But otherwise, they seem to really like each other. They play a lot, more physically than I could ever play with them. I think two are really good for each other.

Let us know what you decide.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

Boo Boo wrote:

The dog is living with the mom and I was told she is not a animal person and doesn't give the dog the love and time she deserves.
    She is somewhat overweight and she has quite a few large tumors on her. She seem active and ran around with her ball. She also kept going into the swimming pool that she loves which we don't have. Kept shaking her head as if her ears bothered her from the water getting in. Her legs seem kinda stiff probably from arthritis and from the excess weight on her. She did have a sweet personality and kept going to her master.
    Does the lady really want the dog?* If she doesn't really want to keep the dog then the dog is in an uncomfortable situation.

She is somewhat overweight
    Fixable. Check the food she is on.* Maybe change the food gradually over time and substitute some green beans for kibble.

has quite a few large tumors on her
    Are they tumors or cysts?.*

She also kept going into the swimming pool that she loves which we don't have.
    Well, there's one for the Santa list then.* Can always acquire a kiddie pool in the mean time.

Kept shaking her head as if her ears bothered her from the water getting in.
    Could be from the food she gets or from going swimming. Could have an ear infection.

Her legs seem kinda stiff probably from arthritis and from the excess weight on her.
    Is she on medication for it?

How did the two dogs get along?

When Red and Misty first met they ignored each other.* In the car they sat on opposite sides of the back seat.* At home it was like watching a hockey game when one was trying to get attention from us they body slammed each other out of the way.* They did became a team after a while.

Has she been spayed?

First things first.* Are you ready to adopt an older dog? There will be need for some medication. Maybe a few vet visits and tests.* Might even have to change the food she is on.* Don't get me wrong.* There is absolutely nothing like the love of an older dog.* red was none when we got him.

Second.* Is this dog a fit?* If not then walk away. Try to be helpful with rescue contacts but if the dog is not a fit then everybody will be miserable.

HTH

LD

Kaylasmom is offline Senior Member

This may or may not be of interest, but we have a lab who is 8 1/2 and we have just added a puppy to the family. While at first, Kayla, our 8 year old, acted like we had lost our minds to do such a thing--come to think of it our daughter thought the same thing when we had our second child. Now, 3 weeks into the relationships, Kayla and Jake are playing bitey face and tiring each other out all the time. Kayla has lost weight, is more active and interactive. Jake is calmer and easier to train and just be with because he looks to Kayla to see how to react to situations. We are very glad we got Jake. I know it is really backward from your situation but I hope maybe this will help you as you make the decision for your family.
    So, do you come here often?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast