Pepcid for dogs???
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pepcid for dogs???

Jade62 is offline Member

Default Pepcid for dogs???

A friend of mine is having trouble with the bile pukes and changing food did not help her , her vet suggested giving her dog a Pepcid tablet at night for acid reflex. He said the bile vomiting is a comon sign of acid reflex. does this sound right? I think someone on the board mentioned the Pepcid a while back , but I cannot find the post. Can this harm your dog? it is a medicine for humans, but then they do take Imodium and Pepto. Mercedes does this bile thing and I changed her to a Sensitive stomach food( Nutro Chicken, Rice and Oatmeal fro Sensitive Stomach)........now the bile pukes have not occured for the past week or so.......but diarreha, more like loose stool, not very watery, has now started. I cannot win at either end :-\

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Default Re: Pepcid for dogs???

Well two things -- if it's throwing up in the morning (yellow bile), that can often be helped by giving a bed time cookie (heck, cookies make everything better don't they! ;D) Regarding the Pepcid AC -- my doctor told me to give some to Sami to settle nausea. I have used this on two occasions after she has had bouts of throwing up.

Hope that helps.

ClarenceMom is offline Senior Member

Our vet recommended the same thing when Clarence was throwing up after breakfast and in the early mornings. We give our Wheaten Pepcid often--he has a very sensitive tummy.
    Leigh &amp; Michael <br />Clarence &amp; Fitzgerald, Broomfield, CO<br />

lebets is offline Senior Member

just make sure it pepcid and not pepcid complete....thats what are vet recommeded
    <br />[URL=http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f343/hlebetkin/032_5.jpg][IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albu

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

If her stool doesn't get firm soon, you can try adding pumpkin to her diet. That always helped Mitzi. I know the frustration you're going through. I have the same problems with Mitzi; some foods give her the bile pukes, some soft stool, and some make her allergy worse.

Jade62 is offline Member

How much pumpkin do you give them? I had read this before ,but was hesitant because I thought it would give her diarreha.>> I have IBS and pumpkin is a big no- no for me. Also would green beans make her stools soft , she loves them as well as bananas. Maybe it is the oatmeal int he sensitive stomach food??? Wow , I am going to have no hair on my head soon from worrying about this, have to borrow some from my Lab as she is blowing coat and stick that on my head. I am getting at my wits end with the bile pukes.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jade62
    How much pumpkin do you give them? I had read this before ,but was hesitant because I thought it would give her diarreha.>> I have IBS and pumpkin is a big no- no for me. Also would green beans make her stools soft , she loves them as well as bananas. Maybe it is the oatmeal int he sensitive stomach food??? Wow , I am going to have no hair on my head soon from worrying about this, have to borrow some from my Lab as she is blowing coat and stick that on my head. I am getting at my wits end with the bile pukes.
    Fiber works both ways -- it can firm up and soften Try adding 1 Tbsp. of pumpkin to each meal. If that doesn't work, go straight to Psylllium Husks, or you can use Metamucil (which basically is psyllium w/ added sugar). That will usually do the trick.

Sami had a lot of GI issues on some good foods. I think (though not positive) that her problem is barley, which was a common link in the foods. Have you looked at the ingredients in the foods you've tried (unsuccessfully) and compared them? You might want to look into California Natural, or another 1 protein, 1 carb food (Wellness makes them, as well as Natural Balance). It's what saved me from insanity! Oh, I would also give up all treats -- green beans, bananas, etc, until you figure out what is causing the problem.

I have IBS too ... gives you a new level of sympathy for your dog, doesn't it!

+ Reply to Thread