Spotted purebred silver-factored Chocolate Labrador
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spotted purebred silver-factored Chocolate Labrador

lablover44 is offline Junior Member

Default Spotted purebred silver-factored Chocolate Labrador

A friend of mone who is a Labrador Breeder has a 10 week old chocolate puppy who has developed darker spots on his back, legs and tail. His dad is a silver lab and mom is a chocolate. Both parents are AKC reg. Any suggestions as to what this is or why it happened. I have searched the internet and cannot find a thing on it. Please help! I am attaching a picture of the puppy.

[attachment deleted by admin]

geekmom is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Spotted purebred silver-factored Chocolate Labrador

if you can email this pic to me, I will show it at work tomorrow (work at an animal hospital) one of the docs breeds labs, maybe he knows...makes me curious too.... ???
    <br /> Gotta love the duckie girl...

WigWag Guest

Interesting to say the least.* It could simply be the lighter puppy coat falling out and the darker coat underneath showing through in a strange pattern.

The ticking gene (makes small spots) is not found in Labradors.* That said silver Labs are only found in the USA and can be all traced back to a kennel that bred both pointing breeds and Labradors.* It's a common theory that some mixed breeding ocurred and the dilution gene from the Weimeraner is now what causes Labs to be silver and blue.* It would be my theory that these spots are from an introduction of the ticking gene from a German Shorthaired Pointer.* This has never happened to my knowledge to a breeder of show type or quality field type Labradors and I would also say that it could only happen when a silver is involved.*

imported_Page is offline Senior Member

I think there's Dalmation in there.
    Page &amp; the gang - Leo, Dan, Reuben and Asher<br /><br />CH Feather Downs Guardian Angel RN CGC<br />CH Kai Den&#39;s Power Surge<br />Feather Downs A Fair Judge<br />Kai Den&#39;s Stormy Affair CGC

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lablover44
    His dad is a silver lab and mom is a chocolate.* Both parents are AKC reg.*
    Just wanted to point out that dad cannot be registered as a silver with AKC. He must be registered as a chocolate.

Also, Laura (labby) had a link to mismarks in Labs...very interesting/unusual stuff but now I can't find the link. Maybe she will see this and respond. With that said mismarks are unusual, but not unheard of.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Just wanted to point put that I said "Both parents are AKC registered." I never said that the dad was registered as a silver. I only said he was AKC reg.

Kathryn Guest

Anyway we can get a picture of mom, dad, and face of puppy?! ;D
    Something I have never heard or seen before.

Dani is offline Senior Member

whoopeee...one more "AKC registered" dog bred to another. Because AKC means something important. : Sounds like a reputable breeder to me.

Reguarding your question...at first thought, I would say it's puppycoat giving way to the more permanant coat...in just a odd pattern.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Here is the dad.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kathryn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    Also, Laura (labby) had a link to mismarks in Labs...very interesting/unusual stuff but now I can't find the link.* Maybe she will see this and respond. With that said mismarks are unusual, but not unheard of.
    I think this is the link being talked about. http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/mismarks.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast