How do you keep your house from smelling like dog?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do you keep your house from smelling like dog?

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

Default How do you keep your house from smelling like dog?

I'm curious. I'm thinking of investing in a room purifier. Although my dogs are allowed throughout the house, they mostly spend time in our family room (where they stay when I'm out, and where their beds are).

Thoughs?
    Brenda from Connecticut

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

Default Re: How do you keep your house from smelling like dog?

I don't really notice a dog smell but I'm always around them. I do try to use the arm-n-hammer carpet powder that you vaccume up occasionally though just in case. If I know someone is coming over I will light a few candles an hour or so before.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

Goldentouch is offline Junior Member

Yes, i use the carpet stuff that you vaccume up also.
    Although i can't really smell a doggy smell in my house. I do always keep the house well ventilated, by keeping all or most of the windows open and i keep the back door open as much as possible. I find this really helps keep the house quite fresh smelling.
    Jill &amp; Leo xx<br />

TroopersMom is offline Senior Member

We use candles and the carpet stuff too. I love to open the windows too, for that fresh air smell throughout the house. The Summer is tougher. We have central air, so sometimes we spray something near the inside unit and it spreads what we sprayed through the house downstairs here. It's funny how that works but it's neat.
    ~Laura and Trooper&nbsp;&nbsp; Edgewater, MD<br /><br /><br /><br />

SamIAm is offline Senior Member

I don't notice that Sam smells, unless he's wet. Of course, other people may think my house smells, and I just am immune! I worry more about the dog hair all over.

Frances

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I use Febreeze linen scent on my couches
    "Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I have four dogs and none of them have a strong doggy odor.The best thing you can do is feed your dog a high quality diet (I'm sure you already do!), not let them up on the furshishings all the time and wash their bedding often. Air fresheners mask the scent but don't get rid of it. It is better to vacuum, dust, wash cushions and crack some windows open.

The Texas Tank is offline Senior Member

As we have tile floors and leather furniture we have almost no dog smell. If I do smell it a good floor mopping takes care of it. Carpeting and fabric furniture are the worse culprits for holding that smell in your house.
    Sandie, Tank 5/25/1998 - 07/08/2011, Orson & Sully

raidernation is offline Senior Member

I wash all the bedding weekly and we have travertine tile throughout the house except bedrooms which we have chosen to be off limits for now . I also like the febreeze product my favorite is the plug in noticble air freshner

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Open windows whenever feasible. Wash his bedding every week. Vaccum twice a week using the carpet powder stuff. Sweep tiled and wood floors (daily) and mop tiled floors every other day with Pine sol. Sweep and mop under and around his crate everyday. Also, feeding good food helps.
    Oh and using Essential oils. You only need to burn a drop of it but the smell lasts. You can also put a dab of it on light bulbs. The essential oils are just lik eburning candles...masks the odor...It's all the other cleaning that really helps. I also keep a Renuitz cone near the area where Buck's crate is.

I even know people who have a professional carpet cleaner come by once a month...I just can't afford that. Once a year or when ABSOLUTELY necessary is more realistic for me. There is only one carpetted area that Buck hangs out in so it's not too hard to maintain.

+ Reply to Thread