Black noses that turn pink
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black noses that turn pink

Barnsley is offline Senior Member

Default Black noses that turn pink

I remember seeing someones pictures of their dogs nose as it changed color. Is my dog's nose going to get pink? I am curious about this subject. At what age will you start to notice it if it'g going to happen?
    <br />Barnsley &amp; Lilly from Okinawa, Japan

izzy is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Black noses that turn pink

Sounds like you are talking about a snow nose. If it happens, it usually happens when the dog is an adult. It varies with each dog and the season. Snow noses usually lighten up in the winter and darken in the summer. Plastic dishes can also cause the pigment to fade off dogs' noses.
    IZZY<br />&quot;The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind.&quot; ~ Theodorus Gaza

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Very common in yellow labs- "snow nose" or "winter nose." Someone once told me that it tends to happen their 2nd winter. That was how it worked with Libby- she went through the first winter as a puppy just fine, and starting this past winter, her nose turned brown and has stayed that way since.

Monty, too, went through this past winter fine (he was only 8 wks old the day he came to live with us on December 23rd, though)...we'll see how his nose fairs through the upcoming winter.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

My Aly gets a snow nose in the winter, which re-blackens every summer. She is four yrs. old.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

In Loki's second winter (last winter), his nose turned pink and has been the same ever since. He's a yellow lab and we don't use plastic bowls. Must be in his genes ???

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

Aly's nose in winter:

Aly's nose in summer:
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

Abby's (my yellow) nose turned pink in her second winter, and when she turned 4 it was pink and it's still pink
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

Barnsley is offline Senior Member

Can someone tell me what the connection to plastic dishes is? I have never heard that before. I did just read that sunlight exposure helps them stay dark which would explain the winter timing of pink noses. This is so interesting.
    <br />Barnsley &amp; Lilly from Okinawa, Japan

WigWag Guest

Plastic versus metal dishes and giving kelp suppliments are myths.* They do nothing for pink noses.* Their nose doesn't rub on the dish while the dog eats.

A yellow dog's nose contains skin cells called melanocytes that hold melanin.* Melanin is what gives skin color.* Melanin production is controlled by an protein called tyrosine.* Tyrosine acts via an enzyme catalyst called tyrosinase.* Well tyrosinase like most enzymes is temperature dependent and also depletes with age.* So as a dog ages their bodies are able to produce as much tyrosinase and so the melanin is not as dark thus the nose fades from black to purple and eventually to pink.* Since it's also temperature dependent then when the weather turns colder the nose also fades.* Also many temperature dependent enzymes are controlled by the length of days and so when the days begin to grow shorter the "nose knows" and begins to fade and the opposite is true in the spring.

All yellow dogs noses will fade but it depends on the individual as to when and how much.* The vast majority begin to fade when the dog is 2 - 3 years old and it will turn purple that winter and darken back up in the summer.* The following winter it will fade a bit more and darken a bit less, etc.* Some dogs are born with poor pigment and they have a purple nose at 6 months old.* Other dogs keep the nice black nose until they are seniors and even then they only fade just a bit and return to black each summer.* Some dogs noses turn a really light fleshy color and stay that way all year.

Hope this helps.* *

hark67 is offline Senior Member

I just bumped my photos of Huckle(and his ripened nose). He had the blackest nose as a pup...so shiny and showy. I remember walking him as a pup and bumping into a man walking the other way. He said "nice black nose...it won't be that way for long!" I was so upset...how dare he say that my precious pups nose was not going to be black. How could he know. Well, it did change. Like Sharon said. The second pic is Huckle at 1 1/2....just a smudge of color off the end. By the time he was seven his nose was completely flesh colored. It looked raw at time. Did darken a bit in the summer but only I could tell. The last pic was when he was 13 1/2. It started to freckle when he was about 10. Now when I look at labs with black noses I think they look funny and I think....they won't be that way for long!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast