laundry detergent for dog washing??
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: laundry detergent for dog washing??

lab13 Guest

Default laundry detergent for dog washing??

What type/brand of laundry detergent do you use for dog washing?? Just wondering if that could contribute to my dogs itching.

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Default Re: laundry detergent for dog washing??

Ummmmm, you use laundry detergent to wash the dog? Or to wash the dog blankets? If you are washing the dog, then yup, that might be why he's itching!!
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

lab13 Guest

Oh my gosh, I did mean the dog's washing ie blanket, towel and toys NOT the dog! Sorry for the confusion.

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

Oh my gosh, I did mean the dog's washing ie blanket, towel and toys NOT the dog!
    Phew! For a minute I was going to ask if you used the gentle cycle

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I'd still suspect the detergent might have something to do with the itching (or the fabric softener). Try Dreft, or some other product for babies clothes. There certainly are a lot of things that could cause itchiness though!

I use Era typically for all my washing as it is good for getting goose/swan poop out of clothes.
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

LOL@Rangermom!

Well, people can be sensitive to laundry detergent, so why not dogs too?

Funny story...

I was in for some testing a while back. Upper G/I, drinking barium. :-X So I drink the barium, and a few minutes later I start itching like crazy on my chest. I called the tech in and said, "Um, could I be allergic to barium?"

I showed her my chest, which was covered with red welts.

She said, "Oh, no, you know what I bet it is? They wash these gowns in a very harsh detergent. I'll bet it's irritating your skin."

Sure enough, I took off the gown and was totally fine in minutes. I should have realized myself...I have the most sensitive skin on the planet :

What kind do you use? I don't know if this helps, but I find that Tide is the only thing that doesn't bother me.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

imported_Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

You know I never thought of this before, but I'm sure like us they could be allergic to anything. I use Tide Free and even with that I have to be careful not to use too much. If I dry my face with a towel and I've used a little too much detergent in the wash, my face turns bright red and burns. My dog has been itchy since we got her. I wish I knew what was causing it.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Detergent is detergent whether it's in Tide, Dreft, or any brand. So use any brand (I think Ivory Flakes is just soap) but be sure to rinse it all out. I always use the double rinse cycle in warm water. If I had detergent dermatitis, I would rinse and rinse again.

Labz4Me is offline Senior Member

I use Arm & Hammer Free for Sensitive skin. No perfumes or dyes. It works well for us.
    Pat from S.E. Pa
    Abby - CGC
    Jack - OCP (official couch potato)

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom
    I use Era typically for all my washing as it is good for getting goose/swan poop out of clothes.
    Okay, I've gotta laugh at this one! That is one of the funniest endorsements for laundry detergent that I've ever heard!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast