Nylabones... when to throw away...
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nylabones... when to throw away...

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Default Nylabones... when to throw away...

Quick question... I think...

Ender has nylabones... one was chewed on by his big bro Apollo (5 yr old POWER chewer) and one not. The one that he has in the car... which admittedly he almost never chews on doesn't have a scratch on it... he HAS chewed on it... it's just he hasn't made a dent in it yet.

The one that Apollo chewed on, well both ends are "rough* instead of smooth... they are dark cause they pick up so many threads and fuss from the carpet. I don't *think* any actual parts have come off it but is it time to throw it anyways? I mean how much wear is normal on these bones? Acutally it doesn't look THAT much different from where Apollo left it and Ender chews on it probably daily.

Am I making sense? Both cameras have dead batteries right now, otherwise I'd post a picture.

Thanks for the help!
    ~Lindsay

bibber is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Nylabones... when to throw away...

We use Nylabone Durables, and they get rough like that fast. They gradually wear them down, and I throw them away when they get to the point where enough is gone that it might be possible for them to bite off a chunk of the nylabone.

Here's a pic of the ones I had in within 5 feet of my computer chair. : These are fairly new. We let about them get about twice as worn as they are now, then toss them.

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Ok... yeah that's what I have for Ender (durables)... and that's what his look like. They haven't gotten any worse since ohhhhh 2 weeks ago when apollo was here and did THAT damage. I guess Ender just isn't a power chewer (yet) so hasn't made any more damage.

His puppy bones... now THOSE I had to throw away 'cause he got a part off about the size of a dime, so those went bye bye.
    ~Lindsay

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

We use those too, and we throw ours away at about the same level of damage that Brenda does, sounds like.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Katy Guest

I've heard that once the ends start getting "tapered" its time to throw away. They can get pretty sharp and if a dog were to run with one in it's mouth and trip, I could see it really hurting its mouth. Or the back of the throat.

+ Reply to Thread