Has anyone given Pepto Bismol?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone given Pepto Bismol?

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Default Has anyone given Pepto Bismol?

Just want reassurance...

Dog Owners Home Vet Handbook says you can give .5 to 1.5 mL per pound. This works out to about 4 tbsp for a 70 lb. dog, I think. I have a cup that has mL on it.

Angus threw up in his crate today Undigested food. Now his tummy is making some big noises, and I want to give him something to help it. He's very mopey. We're resting his tummy tonight.

Oh, and Simon had another canniption fit in his crate today, and did a good job of de-wickering it. That wicker crate was not such a hot idea :

Anyway, let me know about the Pepto? TIA

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Has anyone given Pepto Bismol?

I've never given it, but know others that have. You should be okay!

Sorry about Simon......

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

I can't remember which dog I gave it to, but I have given Pepto Bismol before - I only remember whomever got it loved it. *
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

OK, thanks y'all I just wanted to make sure. Funny how I trust you all more than the Dog Owners Home Veterinary Manual. :P

Connie and "The Boys":

Well, that didn't go well at all. There is more Pepto Bismol on the floor than in Angus. :

I never thought I'd see him turn his nose up at anything, but he was not a fan of Pepto.

Of course I don't have a syringe. I thought he would just lap it up out of a sushi dish :P Then I resorted to trying to spoon it into his gums. He spit it right back out.

Connie and "The Boys":

ThatsMyGirl Guest

My vet told me NOT to give Pepto Bismol. She said it is converted to asprin, which then causes other problems. When we had the major throwing up thing a few weeks ago (and lots of tummy noise), I fasted for 24 hours, then gave rice. During this time I gave her Pepcid AC (for a 55 lb dog the dosage was 1 1/4 tablets). I was to give that for 3 days, 2x a day, to alleviate nausea.
    HTH

patm is offline Senior Member

I was told to give Skippy Pepto(by the vet) when he got into a rotten old deer in the woods and got some gastro-enteritis stuff. I could only find the concentrated tablets at the local quickmart and gave him an equivallent dose to 4 T . He did great with it. I don't see how it could convert to ASA - they're different chemicals - but I'll see if I can find out. We have been told , and I have given the dogs ASA anyways, so that shouldn't hurt them anyways.

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

My vet told us the same thing your handbook said only none of our dogs have ever liked it so we bought a baby medicine syringe at target (lol)

Since they don't really like it thought we have given them either Pepcid AC or Immodium AD, but I would call your vet first and ask for a dosage amt. For Molly, when she was 40 lbs the vet said 1 tablet and if that didn't help in 6 hours give 1/2 and if that didn't help to bring her in (luckily the one was enough)

Hope he feels better soon
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by patm
    I was told to give Skippy Pepto(by the vet) when he got into a rotten old deer in the woods and got some gastro-enteritis stuff. I could only find the concentrated tablets at the local quickmart and gave him an equivallent dose to 4 T . He did great with it. I don't see how it could convert to ASA* - they're different chemicals - but I'll see if I can find* out. We have been told , and I have given the dogs ASA anyways, so that shouldn't hurt them anyways.
    Well I was surprised when the vet told me this as I had read that Pepto Bismol was okay for dogs. *Seems like I have read somewhere since then not to give it, but then again, I'm over 40, so I can't say for sure *;D

JayLu Guest

After doing some research - Pepto contains bismuth salicylate; aspirin is a form of salicylate- acetylsalicylic acid to be precise.* It is cautioned that people with bleeding tendancies, on coumadin etc ask their doctor befor taking Pepto; salicylates can increase bleeding tendancies.* That being said, the vet I worked for frequently used Pepto for short courses in treating upset tummies in dogs.* Probably wise to consult with your vet to see what he recommends for upsest troubles since he knows your dog's general health.* I have used Pepto for upset stomachs though, with good results.* And yes, the key is to use a syringe and squirt it into the side/back of the dogs mouth - my girls hate the taste.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast