Just Labradors banner

chocolate behavior

10K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  OuToppie 
#1 ·
was told yesterday that the chocolate ones take longer to settle down and behave.
not sure I believe that, but Rocky can be a problem with other dogs, cats, chickens, etc.
what say you?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
We have a chocolate that is about 20 months old now. He is very, very, VERY laid back.

I think it also has a lot to do with getting enough exercise. We are retired and Murphy gets at least five play periods a day, chasing tennis balls or pine cones. He also gets a walk most mornings in all sorts of different places.

Murphy is more the English style lab, stocky and weighs in at about 95 lbs with no fat on him to speak of. If you have more the hunting variety it is going to be more energetic.

I have no idea where someone gets the silly idea that a certain color is going to affect their energy level. Murphy came from a litter that had black and chocolates, about half and half. One of his sisters is a very high energy dog and keeps her owners on their toes.

The more I read about dogs, the more convinced I become that many of the ideas presented are nothing more than anecdotal observations with no real basis in fact.

#6 ·
o.k. folks.
I already said I didn't believe it,
many times folks try to make you feel better when your dog is misbehaving, I get the "oh, he's still a pup" all the time, and now this new one.
TReischi: did you even look at the Rocky's picture? doubt many would mistake him for an american.
well, thanks you all.
I'll get back to explaining this to him.

Attachments

#7 ·
o.k. folks.
TReischi: did you even look at the Rocky's picture? doubt many would mistake him for an american.
well, thanks you all.
Honestly I did not pay much attention to the picture.

As to people mistaking them as english or american? I have had people insist ours is an american. And others swear he is an english.

I asked Murphy, he made it clear he could care less. . . .much more important is WHERE IS MY SOCK MONKEY!!!!!

#11 ·
I am thinking that people are interested in the English/American labeling because in general the "english" type tend to be stockier which some people prefer. Sooo, if they are looking for lab and they want to slim speedy looking type, they know not to respond to anyone offering an "english" lab.

But, like I said, Murphy could care less. Maybe we could all learn something from that?

#13 ·
My chocolate Lab, Shadow has been an absolute delight from the very first time we got him. We live with our daughter who has a bunch of assorted mongrels ranging from small terriers to large guard dogs. Shadow fitted right in and all who meet him fall in love him instantly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.