Just Labradors banner

Shedding

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Pam 
#1 ·
Hi. I'm Pam. Was known as Buddysmom for years. Buddy left me at 15 on 3/30/13.
It took me 3 years to think about another dog. I found one at my local lab rescue and fell in love with him.
He was picked up as a stray and transferred to lab rescue. They put him with a foster who lived in a tiny apt., crated him whenever he went out and fed him Sam's club cheapest food. Sidney came to me with a bad ear infection that he had for the entire 6 mos in foster. My vet cultured it and said its not bacterial, it's yeast. Sidney also has several bald areas that smell. I am using anti fungal powder on them. They said it was flea allergy alopecia. All kinds of topical meds didn't do anything. He is taking Apoquel for itching. They say he needs to stay on it forever. I hope I can keep paying for it. He is on flea and HW prevention and has no fleas. He doesn't scratch or bite but he does occasionally lick his front paws. I honestly think it's boredom. I'm retired and home with him all day, he's 8 and here in So. fl. It's way too hot to do much in the way of activity. I walk him 4-5 times a day. Believe it or not, this dog did not shed a single hair the first 6 weeks he was here. My vets were astonished. Then overnight, he turned into a blizzard of hair. I have never in my life seen anything like this. My Buddy shed all year but never anything like this. I can fill a Dyson canister doing two rooms daily. I had him on Fromms, then Taste of the Wild. He poops a minimum of 4x/day. I am trying Nutro Natural Choice because my Buddy ate it for 15 years and had no issues. When I open my car door, I stand back until the air settles and I can get in w/o choking. If anyone can offer any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry, but I have no suggestions for you. Sounds like you are doing your best.

I am sure Sidney is much happier now that he is with you, not living most of his life in a crate by himself. Going for those walks has to really make him happy. That is what is so great about dogs, they do not sit around feeling sorry for themselves, they just make the best of what they have, and now he has you! Someone who actually cares.

Our Murphy is living the good life, we got him at 8 weeks. He is not spoiled at all, no furniture, no begging, etc, but he is like that pretty much on his own. A very low maintenance kinda guy. He gets lot of exercise and is rarely by himself unless he gets tired of us and wanders into a bedroom for a nap.

Keep up the good work!

#3 ·
o.k. here's what I would try:
take him the vet and explain problem,
try fish oil, (vet will approve)
if he'll eat fish encourage it,
wash him once, brush daily until you see improvement,
talk to the vet (oh, I said that)
hate to get into food conversations here cause it not good to keep changing his diet,
I feed Orijen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.