Pond Algae & Dogs - Toxic?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pond Algae & Dogs - Toxic?

Rukus&Dozer is offline Senior Member

Default Pond Algae & Dogs - Toxic?

I was reading an article yesterday about how many of the ponds in my area are experiencing an algae bloom due to the weather conditions. The article mentioned that the algae blooms can be toxic and/or fatal to dogs. It got me thinking because there is a stagnant creek a little ways from my house that Rukus likes to sneak down to when we're not looking.

Is it a certain type of algae that causes these problems, or is it all types? How do I know if the stuff in the creek behind our house is toxic or not?

Anyone have info on this?

For now, we're just keeping an extra close eye on him when he's loose or making sure he's tied up.

Here's the article:

Hot forecast brings dangerous algae bloom warning | kare11.com

labby is offline Senior Member

It can be VERY toxic. Unless you're a biologist, I'm not sure the average person knows how to identify which algae is on the pond, so if there's algae on the pond, keep the dog out of it.
    Laura

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

Yes it can make dogs sick. Don't risk it if possible.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

The serious problem, here in MN, is blue-green algae. Humans can get sick, and have severe allergic reactions. Our dogs are just as vulnerable to it. Since they tend to drink a lot of water, particularly when it is hot, it can be fatal. Our more common green algae, although not desirable, is no where near as toxic.

The blue green algae will bloom in the heat that we ar currently having. It smells like rotten something. It tends to thrive in shallow pongs and shallow lakes. It should not be a problem up at Crow-Hassen, but I wouldn't let HK in the pond at Elm Creek or the one at the south edge of the Three Rivers range near Prior Lake. Not sure if any of the other Three River Dog Parks have ponds.

Many of our ponds are great sources of common duckweed. Green, floats on top of the water, and thought to be algae by many. Its not. Duckweed is actually a good vegetable food for our dogs, and won't hurt us either. Even though it looks like surface scum. If you look at it closely, it is a plant with very small leaves that simply float at the surface.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Ed is spot on. It is Blue green algae that is very toxic, and tends to appear in hot weather in stagnant water.

On the side, Duckweed is a fascinating plant. There are several species, the smallest, Wolfia (sp?) is the smallest flowering plant...flowering on mud flats, and looks like green corn meal. When I worked at the Bird Sanctuary, I would collect 100's of pounds of Duckweed a day to feed waterfowl that did not have access to it. Without it (and the aquatic insects gathered with it), we could not have properly raised orphaned Wood Ducks and other speciality waterfowl.

...and I could go on....

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Quote Originally Posted by HersheyK's Dad View Post
    Many of our ponds are great sources of common duckweed. Green, floats on top of the water, and thought to be algae by many.
    After googling duckweed, I'm positive this is what is in the creek since I remember seeing the little plants all over his fur when he came back up ever-so-proudly (and earned the nickname "swamp thing")

I never knew that it was an edible plant for wildlife...interesting stuff!

Just to be on the safe side though, I'll be keeping him out of it.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

It can kill dogs very quickly. We almost lost Erns a couple of years ago as no one knew it existed. He wasn't quite right so took him to my vets which is the street away from the river. We were lucky. That week 3 other dogs were not so lucky. None of us had heard of it before as we have swum in our river for years.

Signs your dog is sick with it. Lethargy, muscle tremors, fast breathing, twitching, paralysis, convulsions.In extreme cases death can occur within 30 minutes after signs first appear.

From what I understand it is hard to tell what is good or bad and confirmed under a microscope I have no idea what it looks like so go to the sea rather than the river now. Heavy rain washes it away.

Last edited by kassabella; 07-17-2013 at 02:50 AM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Eresh is offline Senior Member

Another thing to consider is what is causing the algae bloom. A lot of times it's due to run off from fertilizer, and I wouldn't want my dog drinking that either. I just avoid it altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by kassabella View Post
    In extreme cases death can occur within 30 minutes after signs first appear.
    30 minutes?!?! Holy crap!

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rukus&Dozer View Post
    30 minutes?!?! Holy crap!
    I wonder if some dogs have lower immune systems, or something that makes them sicker than others. Erns had been in the river 3-4 times before he became sick. He dives and swims in the deeper faster moving part of the river so not sure if there was less algae or what. One of the dogs that died had been in the shallows and was walking home when it convulsed and died. Another shortly after it got home became sick and died at the vets. Dogs of all ages have become sick and most within a few hours.

Erns was very sick at the vets for 4 days and had to have blood tests regularly to make sure it hadn't damaged his kidney or liver. We were just so lucky my vet clinic was so close and listened to my gut feelings.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast