What Should I Do? Yellow Lab with Brown Nose? Or wait?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Should I Do? Yellow Lab with Brown Nose? Or wait?

sandgrace is offline Junior Member

Default What Should I Do? Yellow Lab with Brown Nose? Or wait?

Hello! I'm new to this forum with a Lab-related dilema. We went last night to see the puppy that we can pick from the litter and there are 4 in the litter with black noses/eyes and 2 with brown noses/light eyes all are girls (we said that we wanted a girl). I've known that I was 4th choice on this litter, and I knew that the breeder was picking 1st choice out of this litter. If I'm 4th pick why can't I pick from puppy number 4, 5, and 6...not just 5 and 6? She says that there was obviously a communication problem which I agree with. I am no Lab expert but when I reserved this puppy I was reserving a Yellow and I just assumed that they would all have black noses, now of course I realize I was wrong. The puppy is adorable and seems healthy..but in my heart I want a Yellow/Black nose. The breeder has given us an option..she has another litter that's about a week or 2 younger than our litter..all of the pups are reserved but she says she will ask if anyone will want to switch with us. Or we can wait because she's expecting another Yellow litter in mid January. I'm torn the brown-nosed pup is adorable, but we are paying quite a bit of money for this pup, so I feel that I should get a Yellow/Black like I really want. I'm looking for advice from Lab experts/lovers what would you do in my situation? All input is greatly appreciated!

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Well, there are several issues here.

From what you describe, the pup in question is what is referred to as a Dudley. Unless you want to compete in conformation, there is nothing wrong with a Dudley. It sounds like the pup is a happy little soul, and by the time you have it home for awhile, you will not even notice the pigmentation.

However, if your heart is set, for whatever reason, on a black nosed pup, wait, or better yet find another breeder. The reason I say that, is that it sounds like your "breeder" has a lot of litters/pups on the ground at once. That is a potential red flag of a puppy mill, backyard breeder. Of course I do not know who you are getting your pup from, so I may be totally off base. However, having that many litters at once can lead to a rather lively discussion on this forum!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

A lot of yellows will start with a black nose as a pup but it will change to a more brown color when the dog grows. (both of my yellow labs had noses as black as coal when I first got them and their noses changed to brown.)

Also if I am not mistaken (the experts will chime in on to correct me if i am wrong), dogs noses can change during seasons. A lightening of the nose is called 'snow nose' I believe.

Since nose color (and eye color for labs like chocolates) can change from when they are pups I would not put that high on the list of things that are important if you are not intent on showing your dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom View Post
    Well, there are several issues here.

From what you describe, the pup in question is what is referred to as a Dudley. Unless you want to compete in conformation, there is nothing wrong with a Dudley. It sounds like the pup is a happy little soul, and by the time you have it home for awhile, you will not even notice the pigmentation.

However, if your heart is set, for whatever reason, on a black nosed pup, wait, or better yet find another breeder. The reason I say that, is that it sounds like your "breeder" has a lot of litters/pups on the ground at once. That is a potential red flag of a puppy mill, backyard breeder. Of course I do not know who you are getting your pup from, so I may be totally off base. However, having that many litters at once can lead to a rather lively discussion on this forum!
    I don't intend to show my dog in competitions so that's not the issue. I did research on the breeder and she's very reputable it just so happens that now she does have several litters. Of course, obviously I'm no expert in this. I have a wonderful Yellow girl who's 9 years old and sadly the breeder that we got her from is no longer breeding...when we decided to get another Lab I wanted to get one from her first. Maybe my heart is set on the black because of her she had a black nose when she was a pup...although now it's lighter I guess she's used it too much! She was actually the last one available in her litter and she does have a zipper nose, so she's not the ultimate show dog either! LOL! If I could clone her I would to me she's perfect in evey way so I'm not too particular on looks after all!
    Last edited by sandgrace; 12-20-2012 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    A lot of yellows will start with a black nose as a pup but it will change to a more brown color when the dog grows. (both of my yellow labs had noses as black as coal when I first got them and their noses changed to brown.)

Also if I am not mistaken (the experts will chime in on to correct me if i am wrong), dogs noses can change during seasons. A lightening of the nose is called 'snow nose' I believe.

Since nose color (and eye color for labs like chocolates) can change from when they are pups I would not put that high on the list of things that are important if you are not intent on showing your dog.
    Yep, I have a 9 year old Yellow and her nose started out black and it has lightened up now...but her eyes are still just as dark as they were when she was a pup. This pup has a definite brown nose and light colored eyes. She's really an adorable pup I'm just torn between wanting a yellow/black or going with something different that I hadn't expected.

jen124 is offline Senior Member

I think Dudley's are adorable but they do have a bit different look than what people are use to. They have the pigment of chocolate labs. I have heard it said (by someone here I think!) that they are chocolates in yellow pajamas! I love that saying! Anyway ~ you have to go with your gut. If there are no other red flags ~ the breeder does all the health clearances (dad too!), that she does not constantly pump out pups (the fact that she has 3 litters is a bit unusual but I have seen it happen to reputable breeders ~ timing etc. although I would make sure each litter is getting properly socialized ~ are they in the house, in kennels etc?? There is not enough wine in the world for me to have 3 litters in my house which is where I raise my puppies), that she proves her dogs in some venue etc and that you are comfortable with her even with the miscommunication re: your pick, then it really comes down to how you personally feel about a Dudley and not getting exactly what you pictured. Sometime different than expected is a good thing!!!
    Jen and the crew!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

do both parents have all their clearances (hips, elbows, eyes, heart, eic, cmn?) are pups raised indoors or in a kennel? are all the breedings her male to her females? Or are the studs from other kennels?

Honestly, most reputable breeders assign puppies to buyers based on temperament. while looks do play a part in picking a dog, temperment and health are first and foremost. Is the puppy they is assigning you the correct temperment for your lifestyle and needs? What about the parents?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

justine is offline Senior Member

I would probably eat whatever money I had a deposit with this lady and look for a new breeder. The "pick" situation and the fact that she has so many puppies at one time would deter me.

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

My Dozer is a yellow with chocolate pigment and he is the most wonderful, sweet and adorable dog. I didn't pick him for the colour of his nose. He picked me.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

labby is offline Senior Member

If this dog is just going to be a pet then the pink nose and eye rims are not a big deal. It happens sometimes when that chocolate gene gets involved. However, having said that, you want to be able to look at the puppy and like what you see. If you honestly don't think you can do this with Pinky, then say no thank you and eat the deposit and look elsewhere.
    Laura

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast