Hey All,
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hey All,

harsha_Lab is offline Junior Member

Default Hey All,

Hi All,

I bought a New Lab Puppy which is just 35 days old, It is seperated from his mother. I stay in INDIA. It was not dewormed I got it done from my Doctor. I am giving him Verol, Calcium and 4 times Cerelac mixed with Milk. My dog started Vomiting, And Stool is watery, Doctor says It needs time to get used to food. Now the loose motion is stopped, from today morning his stomach is bloated, I am very scared. Dono what to do. Can any Expert suggest me what kind of Diet needs to be followed ? So that My Dog stay Healthy and Safe ?

Kindly Help,
    Thanks much,
    Harsha

justine is offline Senior Member

5 weeks old is much too young to be away from the mother - I don't know if that's the normal age in India, but here in the US and other countries, it is an accepted practice to wait until 8 weeks.

That said, between ~4-6 weeks, puppies should begin to accept solid food, such as canned dog food. I don't know what you have available, but I would talk to you vet about beginning to introduce dog food.

nicole is offline Senior Member

At 5wks, the puppy should be just fine on puppy kibble with some water on it. If you want to soak it or put a little wet food in, that's fine too. Stop with the milk, calcium and whatever else you're giving him.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Milk can cause diarrhea in puppies. Do you know what puppy food the puppy was eating before you got him? If you continue to feed the same food, there is less likelyhood of tummy upset. I would stop the calcium for sure. Cerelac is baby food (cereal) for human babies. It sounds like those you got your puppy from knew he was too young to leave his mother and are trying to suppliment him using this. Feeding really young puppies Cerelac is common in India. I would stop the Veral as well. If you feed a good quality puppy food, your puppy won't need the extra vitamins that can cause gastric upset. The puppy is only 5 weeks old and is barely weened. I would be careful giving him anything other that puppy food mixed with water.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Can any one suggest me with the best puppy food? Even My VET Doctor says give Dilute milk with Cerelac. But here people says stop milk. Can you please suggest me with a good puppy food? which is available in INDIA

Kindly help,
    Harsha

Hello again Harsha.... Most dogs and puppies are lactose intolerant. You can google it and see all kinds of answers that say this. Like I said, the vitamins can cause problems as well. Did you ask the people you got the puppy from what they were feeding him? It is best to use the same food and gradually switch to something new. I am not sure what is available in India. We do have a few members on here from your country and it seems like I remember them saying they found Purina Pro Plan.
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.

Hi Sophiesmama,

I asked the breeder he says he used to give puppy, Cerelak and Milk. If I give the same it Start Vomiting. Doctor says nothing. Here in India. They wont give proper treatment for puppies no one guide us properly. I am a pet lover. Man No one here to help me that is so mean.

Thank much,
    Harsha.

I am sorry it is so difficult for you there. I would get a good puppy formula. Here is a link to help you choose: Best Puppy Foods I hope this helps you to better understand what constitutes a good puppy food. Choose a good food you can get there, and stop everything else except water till his vomiting stops. The only other thing that might help is boiling up chicken breasts, and cooking some plain rice, chop the chicken up in the rice and feed that until the vomiting and diarrhea stop. The puppy is so young, his system wasn't ready for all these changes. I hope some of the other members see your post and answer here. I worry about your little puppy. Good luck.
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.

+ Reply to Thread