I would love to adopt another young Lab but....
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I would love to adopt another young Lab but....

Dukesdad is offline Senior Member

Default I would love to adopt another young Lab but....

I have concerns bringing a young dog into our home with two seniors. Duke is ten and will turn eleven in November. Freckles is at least nine. I actually got Duke when he was seven months old because his original family had to re-home him because their older Lab would not accept him and eventually attacked him. I do suspect that Duke, as a puppy, just drove the older dog crazy.
    Does anyone have any experience in bringing a young dog into a home with older dogs?
    Since Duke retired from DockDog competition I would love to train another Lab to compete as it was a lot of fun. Duke really loved to jump but after he turned 10 he decided to retire with us.
    I only plan to adopt a rescue as there are so many out there. My niece in Dallas constantly sends me emails showing beautiful Labs in their shelters. I just don't want to aggravate Duke or Freckles in their leisurely retirement.
    I know it depends on the dogs but I would like to hear some success stories.
    Thanks for any advice.

Duke and Freckles at their country home

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

When we got Diesel (as an ill-mannered, wild child 6 month old), I had a 9 year old Dutch Shepherd at home. She was healthy and still pretty agile and athletic and after she kicked his ass a few times to get him to mind his manners, they had a very nice relationship. If she was not healthy, that might have been another story.

There are young Labs out there that are not high energy and/or with bad manners, I am sure. You may just have to be selective.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

No direct experience, but I agree that you would want to be very selective.
    Even though Bella is very healthy and active at 11, I couldn't imagine bringing another dog into our household; but then she's been an "only dog" since we got her at about 9 months of age. I guess a lot would depend on the temperament of your boys.

Bella

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Years ago, our black Lab, Heidi was 10, just lost her sister dog and was looking and acting old; not very active, no interest in playing, etc. We brought home puppy Kasa and Heidi was so excited, as if she suddenly were a youngster herself.
    If you want to train another Lab to be a dock dog, you have a better chance if the young one can watch Duke. Not all Labs are willing to jump off a dock. Bruno learned from Mitzi, but Judy will not jump even though she's a good swimmer.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Oh it's a sticky wicket, John. I'm inclined to discourage bringing a rescue home at this stage of the game just because of Duke's and Freckles' ages. As you said, you have well-oiled machinery working now. But it's SO dog-specific, a "younger-older" lab with the right temperament may tuck right in with your guys. On the other hand, Duke and Freckles may not want their balance upset and the new guy would be fighting an uphill battle for acceptance.

I'd love to add a yellow to my mob... my heart aches for the right one, my head tells me to pay attention to the dynamics of the 5 senior dogs I already have.

Blast! It's a dilemma to be sure.
    Last edited by Paddysmom; 04-08-2012 at 06:20 PM.

Seamus and Flynn

bigbrownsmom is offline Senior Member

I think it depends on the dogs. I brought home Sadie who was about 3 years old at the time to Laddie who was about 9 years old at the time. Sadie is extremely laid back, doesn't play, doesn't bark, very boring. So Laddie could have cared less about her coming in. Both of mine are rescues. If you do it and get a rescue, he or she most likely will have been in a foster home and at least could give you a good idea on the temperment, energy level, etc of the dog.

firstlabellen is offline Senior Member

Please read the message I posted today entitled "Kate's Story." It will tell you about the problems I have had with bringing a new puppy into the household with an older dog. As you say, all dogs have different personalities and it might work out. I have struggled with my situation and at times I just separate them so Kate can have some peace from Lilly. Of course, Lilly is crated trained and I can always put her in the crate for a time. I'll have to say, though, it's not continuous problems. They really get along pretty good most of the time, but, they are not close buds like Kate and Ellen were. I did not have this problem when I brought my young pup Kate into the household with my 4 year old Ellen. Ellen was younger and had a more domineering personality than Kate. She taught her what she could do and what she couldn't do. I kind of thought it would work out the same way with Lilly, but not so.

greg is offline Senior Member

i adopted a 10 week old girl about a month ago,Jack's not in the same age range as Duke or Freckles,he's 3.5 years old.one of the big things are the sharp little puppy teeth.Jack gets annoyed real quick when Sophie latches on to him.so I have to moniter the dog play and work on her bite inhabition.that and feeding them seperately.she has no problem finishing hers and starting in on him.its taken about 4 weeks ,but things are starting to smooth out between them.

Annette47 is offline Junior Member

New here (although I recognize many familiar people from the "other" lab board).

Moved to post though, as I do have a success story to share. When we brought home our girl Chloe, who will be 3 in June, our dogs at the time were her father Mulder (who had just turned 10) and our girl Scully, who we lost last summer at the age of 15+ (she was 13 when we brought home Chloe). We had absolutely zero problems, and if anything, having a puppy in the house really perked Scully up quite a bit and seemed to give her more interest in life. They were best buds and played every morning up until a few days before we lost Scully to kidney failure. Mulder was mildly annoyed, but got over it quickly.

allthatjazz is offline Senior Member

We brought Jazzy home as an 8 week old puppy to live with our two elderly beagles, Razzle, 15 and Callie 13. Callie put Jazzy in her place a few times and after that, there was harmony in our home. The girls snuggled together all the time! Razzle was deaf and partially blind, so he easily ignored the new puppy, and she left him alone. I lost both of my seniors after Jazzy turned one, due to cancer and heart problems. I know Jazzy was a blessing to me as I dealt with those losses.
    May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am

Terri and Jazzy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast