What is your favorite hot spot remedy?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite hot spot remedy?

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Default What is your favorite hot spot remedy?

I have a dog boarding that has a HUGE hot spot under her neck. The owner called about 2 days before I got her and said she had a bald spot about the size of a baseball under her neck. After some questioning, I figured it was probably a hot spot and suggested she try washing it with Listerine, drying and then powdering it with Gold Bond powder. This has always worked for me on dogs (mine have never had a hot spot, only boarders and friend's dogs).

Well, owner apparently did not treat it (other than basic vaccinations, they do very little as far as vet care for their animals...their cat has been hit by a car 2-3 times, broken legs and hip, and they never took her to the vet...but that is a different matter).

ANYWAY, the first night I had said dog, I woke up and it looked like the dog had peed on the carpet, but it was black hair that had fallen off of her neck. I did the Listerine and Gold Bond treatment and found that the hot spot reached from one side of her neck to the other and is about 8 inches long. While it 'seems' to have leveled off, I am interested in what people use to treat hot spots. I have not gotten a hold of the owners to get permission to shave the neck yet.

TIA

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Jeez! Poor dog. Must be in a lot of pain. Idiot owner.

Like you I have never had a single hot spot on my dogs. I have no suggestions.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

jen124 is offline Senior Member

I have not had one either - knock on wood!!!!! Does the listerine sting???????
    Jen and the crew!

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

I have tried many things. The problem is that sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.
    Betadine soap, dry, then Gold Bond Powder
    Wash and apply diaper rash cream (drying)
    Vetericyn wound spray
    hydrocortisone cream
    and last but seems to work the best if caught early....a short course of Prednisone

I hate hot spots and our Ben only seems to get them a couple of days before a show! Good Luck

cdavies is offline Member

my boy went thru a huge hot spot faze to the point i took him off all grain. so far i found if real bad i'll cut as much hair as possible, clean with witch hazel and a few drops of tea tree oil. then to soothe/dry- equal parts milk of magnesium, hydrogen peroxide and cornstarch (1tbsp.) but what has worked the most to dry up an easy hot spot...gold bond.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Paddy had a long-time hot spot on his hip. It kind of came and went, but mostly it stayed there. He *worried* with it.
    The Gold Bond medicated powder gave him a lot of relief for several days. Other than the G/B powder, I would keep it clean with cool watered wash cloths and just tell him "Paddy, don't lick". That good dog was very compliant with "Paddy don't lick". Lucky me. Good Paddy!

Seamus and Flynn

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Awww, good boy Paddy!!!

So far the Listerine/Gold Bond powder remedy seems to be working, I have the owner permission to shave her neck. Now I am wondering if I should shave it, if for no other reason than to demonstrate how big the hot spot was...or just let it go.......she has no idea of how large an area the hot spot was...kind of like "yo...your cat has a broken leg?....and no vet care???"

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

pbc
    pbc is offline Senior Member

Black Tea bags not herbal soaked in boiling water, allowed to cool until comfortable to touch. Apply bags like a pumice 10 - 15 minutes if possible. Pat area dry and keep dry. Do a couple times a day if possible. This could be an expensive treatment though as black tea is usually pricey. It sounds like the spot is fairly large. In which case you could go through a box a day. Moisture or damp clothes are bad news for hot spots. Poor dog probably need some antibiotics.
    Guest poster - original forum July 2001. Member 2002. nbsc

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

I'd shave it! Sometimes they start healing and then you get another blow up around the edges. Shaving...and air to it might help prevent the quick restart of the darned thing.

labby is offline Senior Member

I use Gold Bond powder, but if it's big I do shave the hair. If it's huge, then I will usually also treat it with cephalexin and help heal it from the inside.
    Laura

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast