How to buy marrow bones
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to buy marrow bones

Jessica.B is offline Member

Default How to buy marrow bones

I'd like to buy a marrow bone for Princess but what do I ask for specifically at the store and what do they look like or supposed to look like? I've done an image search for marrow bones and it comes back with a lot of different results. I just want to make sure I buy the right thing. And is the meat person going to know what I'm talking about when I ask? And the first time I let Princess have it, do I take it away after 10 minutes? Thanks everyone!

joflake is offline Senior Member

The butcher should know exactly what you're talking about. Just ask at the meat counter for marrow bones. If you want to, you can even say how thick you want them. Or if they are already pre-cut, ask them to please show them to you so you can judge.

Our butcher keeps big bags of them in the frezzer, so I just go in and ask for a bag of marrow bones. If you only want to buy one or two, to see how she likes them, just ask for a couple. I think they're getting used to people asking for these now, as the price has doubled since I started getting them, years ago. I used ot get this huge bag, like a two gallon bag full, for $2.99. Now they're between $5 and $10.

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

I always buy the marrow bones which are made from the femur of the animal (bison, beef, sheep, whatever). Have the butcher cut them in half and you're good to go. Most butchers will know exactly what you're talking about.

However, your dog is too young for them. Wait until she has her adult teeth and that they are fully formed and have developed their full strength, or the marrow bone will wear them down in short order, which you don't want.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

HeySquirt is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaisdad View Post
    However, your dog is too young for them. Wait until she has her adult teeth and that they are fully formed and have developed their full strength, or the marrow bone will wear them down in short order, which you don't want.
    Really??? Crap! I have to go home and taken them away from Emmett.

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom View Post
    The ones I get are only about two inches thick.

cjb0arder13 is offline Senior Member

Just be aware that they'll most likely give your dog the runs, because they're very rich (at least, this is the case with my boys). I know that on a day I give them a marrow bone, we're sleeping on the couch that night so they have access to the dog door.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

--Albert Einstein

Jessica.B is offline Member

Thanks everyone and thanks for the photo!! So two inches thick and cut in half? And if Princess is too young for them now then when will I know when I can give it to her? At what age did all of you start giving them? Princess is an extreme chewer and loves tearing things apart haha so I thought this would be good for her.

I don't remember how old my dogs were, maybe around a year? And, they don't give my dogs the runs. Different things affect different dogs different ways. This won't give them the runs, but Libby can't have a rawhide, it makes her puke. Plus they're not good for them anyway.

cjb0arder13 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by joflake View Post
    I don't remember how old my dogs were, maybe around a year? And, they don't give my dogs the runs. Different things affect different dogs different ways. This won't give them the runs, but Libby can't have a rawhide, it makes her puke. Plus they're not good for them anyway.
    Yep...I've got one with a VERY sensitive tummy, so you pretty much look at him wrong and he gets diarrhea. My other one, with a cast-iron belly, gets the runs from them too. Oddly enough, the pork-skin chewies don't bother them at all.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

--Albert Einstein

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast