Ingrown Hairs on a Dog's Chin
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ingrown Hairs on a Dog's Chin

hunterchrome is offline Senior Member

Default Ingrown Hairs on a Dog's Chin

Now Hunter and Chrome both seem to have medical issues about every month or so. This time I see that Hunter has ingrown hairs on his chin. He has all these red bumps on his chin. I read to put some warm water on it so I did that. After we switched their food to a higher protein/better quality food his fur has started to grow back very good where the red bumps are. He has had these occasional in grown hairs but never as bad as this time. His whole chin was effected. Its very wierd. Ofcourse last time I took him for his shots, month go, he didn't have any issues. We are taking Chrome for a vet appointment this week for shots so we thought we would ask the vet for his advice. Anyone ever seen this before?
    Hunter & Chrome

ThreeTs is offline Senior Member

Did the boys eat or drink out of plastic dishes, or maybe have plastic toys? Some dogs get contact dermatitis from plastic, I suppose if the chin area was irritated by plastic the hairs might also become ingrown. Just an idea. If switching food solved it then it was probably a food allergy. I had a dog that would get little inflamed and infected pores on his elbows, he was allergic to many things including grass pollen.

Oh I never thought of that. chrome eats out of a stainless steel bowl. Hunter eats out of a plastic slow down bowl as he has a tendency to inhale his food. They both drink out of a stainless steel bowl. We never had this issue with him when he ate out of a stainless steel bowl. I will switch him back to his stainless steel bowl and moniter is eating habits (inhaling). I never liked the idea of the plastic bowl but we had to try it so he would slow down when eating. We did notice that since he started eating his new wheat free dog food and treats he no longer has red eyes. He now will be kept off wheat products.
    Hunter & Chrome

Callaway is offline Senior Member

Calli used to get this. She would get one or two right on the bottom of her chin, hairless pink bumps. I took her to the vet and they gave me antibiotics. Cleared up pretty quick, but then would come back. I switched from the big plastic bowls to ceramic, and its never happened again.

Another board member also gave me some advice on what to do for it. Oregano oil. Little dab on the affected area twice a day. Takes about a week but it cleared up too. I didnt want to keep putting her on meds, so I figured I'd give it a try.

BUT you should see the vet to be sure first.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

georgie is offline Senior Member

We just had Kate at the vet today for the same thing. She had two pink bumps on her chin. Our vet gave her some ointment, Pyoben gel. But she asked if Kate ate out of a plastic bowl. She doesn't, all three have stainless steel food bowls and their water bowl is also stainless. We have to call her if the ointment doesn't work & she gets more. But when I was reading this I thought when we put her in her crate when we go out we give her some cheerios. Hmmmmm...the crate is plastic. I wonder if this could have caused it. We will be monitoring this.

I never would have thought it is plastic that is causing it. I did feed him out of his stainless steel bowl today. His chin is looking great and his wheat free diet seems to be make him look a lot better. Too bad I went to go buy treats today and accidently bought treats that had wheat in them, darn it. We are taking Chrome for his shots this week so we are going to ask the vet about Hunter's chin. We have had so many vet visits in the past year that the vet often gives us free advice, thank goodness.
    Hunter & Chrome

+ Reply to Thread