Just Labradors banner

Water rations while crate training

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Sherlock 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Thank you for your advice so far, it really has helped. Watson is now calmer in the crate, or at least calms down faster. Unfortunately it's still rocky with him as far as accidents are concerned. I think I gave him too much water and didn't let him out on time in the middle of the night. Not fun.

As I try to establish a routine, how much water do you think I should let him have and when would I give it to him?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Even when Dylan was peeing on the floor I didn't really stop his access to the water although it started to run thin after a while. I tended to let him out in the garden with more frequency and lo and behold after a few months he went onger and longer without an accident !

He hasn't peed on the floor at puppy class for some weeks now then lo and behold he peed on the floor tonight.

In his defence, we now have a new self filling water bowl so I suppose that he drank more than he should as just like children something new is exciting.

It's easy for me because my kitchen floor is ceramic tiled and easy to clean !

I say that patience is the answer ! Ask Labby about Quinn !

#3 ·
I let my pup (she's 10.5 weeks) have as much water as she needs during the day, but I don't allow her to drink after 8:30 or so at night. She gets water again when we get up around 6 am or 7. I usually put her in her crate around 10 pm, out for a potty break at midnight, and then she sleeps all night.

#5 ·
When Shane was a pup, I didn't put water in his crate, he had access when he was out during the day and the water bowl was picked up at 8:00 at night. If I had left a water bowl in his crate, he sure would have had a lot of fun with it.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.