Dogs and Lemons?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dogs and Lemons?

justine is offline Senior Member

Default Dogs and Lemons?

I was reading an article that suggested using lemons as a deterrent for licking, as in putting lemon juice on your skin so that when the dog licks you, it tastes the sourness/bitterness.

I don't really have lemons in the house ever, but have any of you tried this? Or do any of your dogs love/hate the taste of lemon?

eklind51 is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Dogs and Lemons?

ginger eats slices of lemon with the peeling. so i don't think that will work on her!

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

My old cocker hated lemon, she would even make yuck faces! My great dane loved to chew lemons and play with them until the juice came out, then she would make yucky faces.

IŽve tried bitter apple / lime spray to keep dogs (and years ago a ferret) from chewing things (including my hands)

With the ferret it was very very funny. You wonŽt complain about puppy bites again after you experience a ferret biting you (in play, just as dogs do). When she bit me I touched her tongue with my previously sprayed fingers, she would go mad making yucky faces and rolling over the carpet to get rid of the taste. It cracked me up and taught her I tasted awful.

Misha doesnŽt care about lemons (she will eat them full). I have never given Homer a lemon, but heŽll probably eat them too (he eats his poop which is worse than any lemon )

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I think it falls into the same category as Bitter Apple spray. For some it works, for some not. In HKs case, I think the bitter apple spray made her like the Haralson apple tree even more. Siggy pic on the left. Thats the sour face from eating one of the apples. One of the apples that she could not get enough of.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

Shane likes the taste of lemons too.
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)

Tundra Aries Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Shane23
    Shane likes the taste of lemons too.
    Aries does too.

k8show is offline Senior Member

If you find that Abbey likes lemons, you could try wasabi. After eating sushi one evening, Boo helped me load the dishwasher. He inadvertently got about a tsp of wasabi off a plate. You should have seen the faces he made!!! Now he thinks before he licks. 8)
    Katie and Boo

imported_nellies mom is offline Senior Member

Nellie loves to eat lemons.
    <br />~~~~~~~~<br />Danie<br />Nellie, CGC<br />~~~~~~~~<br />The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

justine is offline Senior Member

LOL I didn't think lemons would really work for that. Wasabi might be a good one, although if I remember correctly she likes horseradish...

sarah is offline Senior Member

OMG --- that ferret story is hilarious!!!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast