Just Labradors banner

Looking for advice and experience!

4K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  mauricio 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! My name is Amber and I just blindly adopted a yellow labrador (mix?). Before any judgment on not doing my research before adding a member to my family, let me explain. A few weeks ago I was at a large farm out of town with my father and while waiting for him to finish inspecting their equipment, I was playing with the many dogs free roaming around the farm. Before leaving, the owner of the farm was chatting with me about the various dogs after noticing me showing them attention. He then informed me that he wanted to "thin out his growing dog herd" and later on his nephew would be taking a young yellow dog to "a shelter by his apartment in new york city, they take whatever you give them as a stray". So naturally itried to talk him into putting up a craigslist ad or something to see if someone would volunteer to take the dog but his mind was made up and he wanted her gone. I was afraid for her because I know NYC has an overflowing number of dogs in their shelters and many are euthanized. So, I blurted out that I wanted her and took her that day. She's innocent and her eyes are full of love and I couldn't let her go to a NYC shelter.

So, here I am. I've had her for a few weeks, I named her Honey. All I know about her from the farmer is that her mother is a Labrador and her father is unknown. She was born on March 12th. What I've learned about her is that she is friendly, doesn't bark often, I'm feeding her Purina Puppy Chow, she loves tennis balls, she's already almost housebroken, I think she's a little underweight, she has an enormous amount of energy and does not walk well on a leash whatsoever. I have not yet taken her to the vet (shame, shame I know) due to being tight on money but I will have a tax return any day now and will be able to afford the vet visit. Basically I'm having a bit of a hard time adjusting to her and I'd like some advice on how to build a good relationship with her and teach her to behave nicely. She's a hassle and anything you can tell me to help our lives run smoother would be great! Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.