Hello everyone.. Jack (9 month-old English lab) and I are new to the Just Labrador forum... I will surely post pictures later, but am just getting familiar with the site and hope that some of you can help us!! We just found out that our beloved buddy has elbow dysplasia.. Xrays were done, most likely confirming fragmented coronoid process. Jack has been limping intermittently since November, but can handle a short walk around the block.. Our quotes for surgery have been pretty high, ranging from 2500- 4000. We spoke to the breeder, who states she will take Jack back, and provide us with a new puppy.. However, my husband and I & our twin daughters are definitely attached.. The breeder also stated that if the condition is untreatable, she will just put him down!!
I've done some research re: arthroscopic surgery/ FCP, but have seen mixed reviews!! PLEASE PLEASE- any info/suggestions/input would help us out tremendously with this difficult decision......
hi and sorry about your dog.
i have a friend who had a dog with elbow dysplasia and surgery fixed her right up. it was hard to keep her quiet afterwards but they put her crate, open, in an expen.
she's fine now but i don't think they wear her out with frisbee, or any jumping like that.
Welcome! I am sorry for the problem you are having with Jack, I don't have any experience with ED. I do know there are those in the group with dogs that have this and hopefully they can help you. I can not imagine being in the position of having to make such a difficult decision but I do know I would move heaven and earth to treat a puppy I had loved for 7 months. I would never return the puppy to the breeder, I have no doubt the puppy would be pts and I could never live with that but that is me. I wish you the best of luck with your puppy.
Life is short, play with your dogs!
Maxx & Emma Jean
Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.
Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.