Another new member from NJ
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another new member from NJ

RichJ is offline Junior Member

Default Another new member from NJ

Hello all.
    This is Rich checking in from exit 135. I am currently dogless since putting my 14 yo chocolate lab, Hudson, to sleep just before thanksgiving. She was an absolute beauty and the best behaved dog I've ever met.

Finally got the wife to OK getting another dog, so I'm starting to research breeders. Initial focus on Ancroft, Beechcroft, Brookberry, Cedarmarsh, Paradigm and HiView, based on what I've learned from the forums. Would appreciate any comments on actual experience with any of these. It's always tricky to get valuable negative feedback on who to avoid, which is almost more important that figuring who's "#1" as that's very subjective.

Also, a question - Why is it considered to be unethical for a breeder to charge more for a puppy based on sex or color?
    Thanks,
    Rich

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Welcome Rich, not a breeder and not in the U.S. so I can't address any of your questions.

Just wanted to say welcome and I'm so sorry about Hudson.

You might get more responses if you post in Lab Chat

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

GL in your search and Welcome, sorry about Hudson x

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Hi Rich! Hunterdon county, here.

Beechcroft is very reputable, from what I've seen & heard.
    "Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Hi Rich -

Exit 156 here. Welcome!

Usually the people you see selling puppies for more based on sex or color have other issues which are red flags. Charging more for color (like fox red, cream, charcoal, silver) often means that they are marketing these as "rarities". If something is rare, you should be able to squeeze more dollars out of an unsuspecting consumer, right?

The only colors Labs come in are Black, Chocolate and Yellow. There should be no variance in price.

Sometimes some breeders charge more for full registration and make if your choice of whether or not the puppy can be bred. That is hugely irresponsible.

You should post the question about breeders in Lab Chat - you'll get more response.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by RichJ View Post
    Hello all.
    This is Rich checking in from exit 135. I am currently dogless since putting my 14 yo chocolate lab, Hudson, to sleep just before thanksgiving. She was an absolute beauty and the best behaved dog I've ever met.

Finally got the wife to OK getting another dog, so I'm starting to research breeders. Initial focus on Ancroft, Beechcroft, Brookberry, Cedarmarsh, Paradigm and HiView, based on what I've learned from the forums. Would appreciate any comments on actual experience with any of these. It's always tricky to get valuable negative feedback on who to avoid, which is almost more important that figuring who's "#1" as that's very subjective.

Also, a question - Why is it considered to be unethical for a breeder to charge more for a puppy based on sex or color?
    Thanks,
    Rich
    Warren County adding to the welcome, too!

Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff View Post
    ...Beechcroft is very reputable, from what I've seen & heard.
    Paradigm, Brookberry and HiView, too.

To add another to breeder to the mix, Karen Miller has some very nice dogs, too.
    Last edited by MicksMom; 01-04-2010 at 04:03 PM.

cycler is offline Senior Member

Hello from exit 74. Also, we are currently without a puppy at this time. Hope to bring one home in March. My wife has already bought toys and a crate. Anyway, welcome to the forum, and if it helps your search, try the Mid Jersey Labrador Retriever website for a list of breeders and they also have a page of who has puppies currently available. Think there are 2 litters to choose from in the Chatsworth area, exit 63 or so. Well good luck in your search.

BTW, sorry about Hudson, guess only time and another puppy will really make you feel better. We lost our girl Heidi this past May, so I can kind of relate to your situation.
    Last edited by cycler; 01-04-2010 at 05:37 PM.

Tucker is offline Senior Member

Hi - welcome from Somerset County! I actually have a Beechcroft but I got him through Ambridge in PA (they had a dog at the time, Beechcroft didn't, but both of his parents are Beechcroft (Beechcroft Perfect Charmer and Beechcroft Black Cherry)...I also used to board Tucker at Mary's kennel (Beechcroft) and was always pleased.

FWIW - While I really like both breeders, and Tucker is a BEAUTIFUL dog with a FANTASTIC temperament, he does have some health problems...he is allergic to EVERYTHING...it is rare that a dog has both food AND environmental allergies and Tucker has both. I have had extensive testing done at 2 local highly regarded vets as well as Red Bank which is one of the best vets in the state to confirm this was indeed true. I got him when he was around 5-6 months old and had problems with ear infections from the start as well as diet issues...not sure if this is something the breeder should have known or not...

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Hi and welcome from Missouri

Sorry about Hudson.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    Hi - welcome from Somerset County! I actually have a Beechcroft but I got him through Ambridge in PA (they had a dog at the time, Beechcroft didn't, but both of his parents are Beechcroft (Beechcroft Perfect Charmer and Beechcroft Black Cherry)...I also used to board Tucker at Mary's kennel (Beechcroft) and was always pleased.

FWIW - While I really like both breeders, and Tucker is a BEAUTIFUL dog with a FANTASTIC temperament, he does have some health problems...he is allergic to EVERYTHING...it is rare that a dog has both food AND environmental allergies and Tucker has both. I have had extensive testing done at 2 local highly regarded vets as well as Red Bank which is one of the best vets in the state to confirm this was indeed true. I got him when he was around 5-6 months old and had problems with ear infections from the start as well as diet issues...not sure if this is something the breeder should have known or not...
    Isn't Red Bank VH amazing? I had Diesel's cataracts removed there - I was SO impressed with that facility!

On the allergies - I don't think that is something that can be weeded out via breeding. From my personal example - my parents were allergy free - I have a lot of allergies..... Just happens sometimes.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast