Lab and chicken
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lab and chicken

pandorared is offline Junior Member

Default Lab and chicken

My husband and I were outside working so we let our lab loose for a bit to run off some energy.We didn't watch her for about 3 minutes and she came to us carrying one of our chickens-yes I had forgotten to put them in the barn. She looked so proud of herself-the chicken was completely unharmed and wasn't even frightened. We both told our dog No and she put the chicken down and looked like a little kid who was caught with her hand in the cookie jar.
    Every day Lady brings us a new adventure and new joy!

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

That brings back memories-- an incident like that happened years ago in an orchard I was sampling for my work. I knew the manager had free ranging chickens but figured they'd stay closer to the house, and this was a rather large ranch. Nope. Barely let Gala out of my rig to follow along and she spotted several. Thankfully her obed recall was great (plus I had a whistle come) and she brought Mr Rooster to a nice straight obedience front position. I told her "out" and Mr Rooster lost one feather, though he was pretty PO'd, lol. Was she ever high on life that day! I got on the phone and told a gal who had bugged me to start hunt test training that we were definitely interested. That was about 12 yrs ago. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, Fall 2010

bett is offline Senior Member

omg

brody is offline Senior Member

poor chicken
    my chickens are always a great attraction to our dogs but so far the girls have been pretty laid back so the dogs don't get a chase and therefore simply follow them around
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do. H. Keller

2labpups is offline Member

OMG! That's hilarious!
    Gidget, JH, SH on her way to MH
    Layla, CNM AFFECTED, Couch Surfer, Counter Surfer, Trash Can Surfer
    DEMAND OFA, CERF, PRA, CNM and EIC testing from your breeders
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Layla-...6759367?ref=ts

Mudinyeri is offline Member

Putting a dog in a chicken pen is a great way to get them "bird crazy" (a good thing if you want a bird retriever)! Your pup did a great job.

applessshch is offline Junior Member

My daughter uses our retriever to catch and hold the birds when she's trying to get them back in. She hasn't picked one up but she keeps them still, they can't hide in the grass from her and she definitely keeps the rooster IN LINE. I never worry about her when she's out with her farm dog.

+ Reply to Thread