Just Labradors banner

Monty at 5 1/2 months after his "beauty shop" treatment

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  WigWag 
#1 ·
I finally had a partner to get some outdoor free-stacked photos with!!! :D My good friend/wonderful mentor and I got together to bathe/groom/clip nails on our "kids" yesterday at her place. It was such a beautiful day that we decided to try to get some photos of the kids free-stacked outdoors. I haven't been able to yet because my husband doesn't see the point of taking photo after photo of a dog- all of which he thinks turn out the same. ;) LOL

Monty's first show will be the day he turns 6 months, on Sunday the 23rd. It is more-or-less a practice show for a specialty the following weekend.

See less See more
#7 ·
threelabs said:
He's very nice and stacking like a trooper - love that second thigh on him.
Thanks! We're still trying to figure out how to get him to wag his tail. He really enjoys strutting his stuff, but is still too serious about getting bait... we're trying to play more stacking games with him. LOL

It is tough to see him with the bizarre shadows, but his second thigh is definitely one of his strong points. :) Even though he changes on a daily basis, he has never "lost" that part.

#9 ·
Wow - finally, I can see all of Monty, fore and aft, standing naturally... and I'm impressed. Looks like you've got a natural, standing easily over all four feet, with nice balance.

Sometimes, when bait doesn't perk them up, it's worthwhile trying other tricks. I find that opening wrapped candy in the ring will really get my gang's attention, throwing a small ball in the air and catching it also gets them on their toes. It's time well spent finding out what incites that special "umph" because attitude goes a long way to the nod under many judges. And Monty certainly is worth the struggle!! :)

#10 ·
Thanks, JP! I really appreciate the suggestions!! I'm going to try them all! :D

Can't you just see me at my first show with him, pockets bulging out about 6 inches with strings, toys, bait, and things that sparkle hanging out the openings? LOL ;)

G
#12 ·
Thanks! We're still trying to figure out how to get him to wag his tail. He really enjoys strutting his stuff, but is still too serious about getting bait... we're trying to play more stacking games with him. LOL
He looks wonderful!

To be totally honest it's you who is not wagging and not him. You have to find what works for him and quit being so serious! Are you nervous at all?

Play with him. Take you foot and gently bump his shoulder/sides while standing in front of him. Do this while talking silly and teasing him with the treat. He needs to know that he doesn't have to be in a stand/stay to get the treat. He needs to jump around a little and get away with stealing a treat by jumping up every now and then. He needs to have some fun! Teach him to speak. When a dog is asked to speak they always get a smile on their face and wag like crazy. Allowing him to get in one woof in a line up when it's not your turn is fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.